chance to cut.. 4 days clear // but cloudy.. ?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowrancher75

Reaction score
opinions?

4 days clear.

80 degree highs.. lows in the high 50 / low 60's.

cloudy, mainly cloudy, and partly cloudy days.

thick thick thick 5-6' tall hay.. will it dry? I don't think it will.. i think i should wait for sun

60-70% humidity. 10 mph wind.

Yes I tedder.. I don't have a conditioner though.

fields are still very very soft and wet.

grasses are OG, fescue.

M Magis.. you're not too far from me.. have you cut already? I could barely get through with the UTV yesterday trying to get to the cows.. soaking wet. I just don't think it will be able to dry.

Nope, haven't even got started yet. Just can't get a window with no rain. Tomorrow I may just start cutting. If it gets wet it gets wet, I hate to wait much longer with as much as I have to do. My neighbor has been at it all week, but everything has gotten wet at least once. But at this point I'd take rained on hay vs July hay. I had that last year and it was poor at best.

Don't know how long you are now, but letting it go long might be better than getting it soaked. Check out the blue graph.

From http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/Hay%20Production%20in%20Texas%20E-273.pdf

Just got my forage tests back. Overly matured, non fertilized ryegrass went 6.4% on protein. Overly matured fertilized ryegrass and clover went 10.6%. Just a trace of rain on it the night it was cut.

A little surprised the low was that low as well as the other being that high. Overall satisfied.

1982vett said:
Don't know how long you are now, but letting it go long might be better than getting it soaked. Check out the blue graph.

From http://forages.tamu.edu/PDF/Hay%20Production%20in%20Texas%20E-273.pdf

Just got my forage tests back. Overly matured, non fertilized ryegrass went 6.4% on protein. Overly matured fertilized ryegrass and clover went 10.6%. Just a trace of rain on it the night it was cut.

A little surprised the low was that low as well as the other being that high. Overall satisfied.
Is this normal for ryegrass? Seems really low

For over-mature unfertilized with a little bit of summer grasses coming on.... I was hoping it would do 8 but that's not what came back. Pulled cores from 16 of 45 bales so should be a fair cross sample.

Latest posts