Certified Angus Beef program

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.
CAB = Certified Angus Beef? If so, anybody who gets a premium for a black calf is involved.

Frankie":1q7g7rsk said:
CAB = Certified Angus Beef? If so, anybody who gets a premium for a black calf is involved.

I know there are approved only CAB feedlots and tons of info on the American Angus Association. This is what I'm referring to.

cattlepower":ovc6rb73 said:
Frankie":ovc6rb73 said:

I know there are approved only CAB feedlots and tons of info on the American Angus Association. This is what I'm referring to.

There are licensed CAB feedlots. But an animal doesn't have to be fed in those lots to quality as CAB. It probably helps to have high percentage Angus cattle fed in a CAB lot, but it's not necessary. Being fed in one of those lots doesn't insure it will qualify as CAB.

cattlepower":wfdou2bv said:
Anyone on here involved in CAB? Pros and cons?

Ahhhhh the age old question. What came first the CAB, or the pros and the cons????? :help:

We don't talk about politics here, :clap: but this crap floats to the surface at least once a month :frowns:

Nothin personal Cattlepower, I am not picking on you.

cattlepower":2d82l843 said:
the only way CAB comes into play is if you retain ownership thru the feedlots and when the cattle are graded on the rail that is where the CAB premiums come in

If you have 100 hd of Black hided cattle in the feedlot and when they go to slaughter usually only about 30-40% will get the CAB premiums

Angus Cowman":7ez241rz said:
cattlepower":7ez241rz said:
the only way CAB comes into play is if you retain ownership thru the feedlots and when the cattle are graded on the rail that is where the CAB premiums come in

If you have 100 hd of Black hided cattle in the feedlot and when they go to slaughter usually only about 30-40% will get the CAB premiums

30 - 40 % of black hided cattle grade CAB :?: :?: :?: :?: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

In a recent meeting with Gary Fike of the CAB program he stated that only 17% of the cattle entered into the program actually finish with the CAB certification. Takes a lot more than black hide to meet the specifications.

kenny thomas":2zk4tn6l said:
In a recent meeting with Gary Fike of the CAB program he stated that only 17% of the cattle entered into the program actually finish with the CAB certification. Takes a lot more than black hide to meet the specifications.

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying only 17% of cattle from CAB feedlots meet the CAB requirements? Or only 17% of black cattle?

cattlepower":17l1j9m7 said:

And so it starts again.

Look, you opened a can of worms and this thread may get a bit ugly before it gets shut down.

Do a little research - there are probably 10,000 individual posts on this topic on this web site alone.

Some of them quite informed and some of them - perhaps most of them - quite inflammatory.

Cows that qualify for CAB are often black hided and not even Angus which makes some folks believe it is a phony program.

Now if you were smart you would be real nice and just go do the research and stay off this topic from now on.

Or keep at it and watch the fur fly.

Heck you could probably even take one of those phony black herefords and have it qualify as CAB - and in fact I find that quite hilarious.

Regards

Bez+

dyates":2c2gyq4m said:
Wouldn't it be funny if that were the 17% that weren't angus.

Ha. Ha. :roll: It won't happen. When I first heard of CAB, going on 20 years ago, the acceptance rate was about 18% and rising. At that time Limousin were red, Simmentals were spotted, and red Salers were not even a blip on the map around here. As other breeds have turned black, hoping for the CAB premium, the actual acceptance rate has gone down, down, down. The acceptance rate seems to be going up again as more and more of those "breeds" and the nation's cow herd have more and more Angus blood in them. Tickles the heck out of me. :D

Before this one get's out of hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts