Cell Phone

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
My old cell phone finally died.
Been washed and dried three or four time's.
I had heII getting a plain phone, kept telling the guy at Verizon I wanted one with a rotary dail.
I don't want a phone period cept the Mrs. put her foot down. Told her I would get one of those button's your carry and push when you fall down.

Help, CB's fallen and he can't get up. :lol2:

They used to make a pretty plain phone, a jitterbug or something like that. You might also buy a simple pay as you go phone. Each provider has one and I think even Wally World has them. They are normally a few models behind so you might find something plain jane.

Caustic Burno":16j1jgs0 said:
I had heII getting a plain phone, kept telling the guy at Verizon I wanted one with a rotary dail.
I don't want a phone period cept the Mrs. put her foot down. Told her I would get one of those button's your carry and push when you fall down.
I still have a rotary home phone in the closet. A few years ago our cordless quit and I got It out and plugged to use as a spare. My kids looked at it like a calf looks at a new gate.

M5farm":oo5cdzzl said:
I still have a rotary home phone in the closet. A few years ago our cordless quit and I got It out and plugged to use as a spare. My kids looked at it like a calf looks at a new gate.

I have a 1943 model converted and setting on a secretary in the dining room. The kids were small when I brought it home and they had no idea how to work it. They had a blast messing with their friend's mind.

Walmart has one for $14.95 you can slip your SIM card in. My kids share what we call the farm phone. They have to take it when they leave the yard. We get them there. They seem to go through a few a year.

I don't have a electronic leash. Don't plan on getting one. My middle daughter says that I am one of the three people left in the world without a cell phone. I told her that the other two people would just be disappointed if I got one now.

The other 2 people without them are in a hospital and have been in a coma for 15 years.
I have a cheap $20 pay by the whatever phone. 18 buttons total. Straight Talk I think--service is off a Verizon tower. Way more minutes/mo than I will ever use, but still costs me $30/month tho.

greybeard":20ed7ptp said:
The other 2 people without them are in a hospital and have been in a coma for 15 years.

No they aren't. One lives in East Africa and the other is in Siberia. We talk regularly ...... on a land line.

Caustic Burno":9sgmmqya said:

That button will not work for u CB. Lol they draw the line on locations where you have to "pipe the sunshine in".

When my wife was teaching, the phone system went out and the school had to resort to an old rotary dial phone. One of the students needed to call home and had a meltdown because she didn't know how to use the ole thing. It amazes me how todays kids know so much about electronic devices and so little about the mechanical marvels us old suckers grew up with.

Speaking of old things, we've been hauling hay the last couple of days and finally had a minor break down. Actually it was a tire that was round on one side and not so round on the other.

The first shop I stopped at wasn't interested in fixing the tire, heck, only had 10 bales on the trailers so they refered me to an old "service" station in town that I've driven by many times. Those guys didn't think twice about fixing the tire and were just plain friendly. The old station was old and so was the old gentleman that opened it almost 50 years ago. They still had an old soda cooler, candy display and a big box of charge tickets.

When was the last time you went to Walmart or Lowes and charged something on a old time charge ticket book. I suspect there are some younger people here on the board that don't have a clue about the old charge ticket books, and no, I didn't see a computer or new fancy cash register. I'd bet $10 that they could make change (correctly of course) and not have to resort to using a calculator or any other new fangled device.

They took my check and didn't ask for my drivers license, maybe they thought I had been "grandfathered" in and wasn't required to have a drivers license. Yep, getting old ain't all that bad.

The old gentleman's sons had taken the business over and he just stopped in to see if the needed any help :lol2: . I really enjoyed listening to him tell about his military service. He was telling me about flying over Japan just after they surrendered and that was interesting to me because my dad was on a ship just off the coast when the surrender was signed. :clap:

Well, better get off of my duff (butt) and go haul some more hay, just one more round to go. By the way, have I ever told ya all that Hay Season is just about my least favorite season, that is unless it would the hot part of summer, you gotta be tough to put up with this dad burn heat that we've been having around here?

houstoncutter":2dup0pt3 said:
Caustic Burno":2dup0pt3 said:

That button will not work for u CB. Lol they draw the line on locations where you have to "pipe the sunshine in".

When I go hunting I have go towards town.

Almost afraid to say, I am somewhat of a geek. I reach for my phone constantly. Everytime I hear something I don't understand, I google it. I have looked up many a thing that I saw on this forum because I am a newbie to the cattle game. I use the caculator on it, the compass, and even make a phone call occasionally. My current land project is so thick that if I am not careful, I will look up and see a place I have already cleared because I went in a circle. I get less smart as my phone gets more smart.

I held out a long time, but now I like the thing. I feel no need to answer it every time it rings.
CB, those Jitterbug phones are marketed to folks of your maturity, and mine.

I got hooked on my iPhone years ago. When my desktop puter broke I didn't replace it, I can anything I need to do on this phone , and listen to Pandora while I'm doing it. I have even used it in Sabine lake to find way points to fish at

houstoncutter":20noc1na said:
I got hooked on my iPhone years ago. When my desktop puter broke I didn't replace it, I can anything I need to do on this phone , and listen to Pandora while I'm doing it. I have even used it in Sabine lake to find way points to fish at

Well I got a basic cellphone today that send's and recieve's call's.
I do like the Ipad for talking to the grandkid's as you can have a live conversation.
Makes it a lot more fun with the little one's.

Caustic Burno":zasw7yvv said:
houstoncutter":zasw7yvv said:

I do like the Ipad for talking to the grandkid's as you can have a live conversation.

Lol .....see your starting to come over to "the dark side"

Some days--maybe most, I wish for a really really big blast of solar radiation or EMP to bring people back to basics.

I swear, there would be millions of Americans lying in the corners of their living rooms in fetal positions, desperately clutching little boxes, pushing buttons beneath a static screen till the batteries finally died.
Psychiatrists are gonna make a fortune.

Caustic Burno":w5pm0v9j said:
houstoncutter":w5pm0v9j said:

The third night in a row when we lost electricity during severe thunderstorms so I couldn;t track the storms I fianlly broke down and got a smartphone. It's not much bigger then my old regualr cellphone and it still fits in my shirt pocket and I can still snap the pocket so it doesn;t get lost. That night we lost power again for several hours, phone came in pretty handy that night. Makinf calls is still just as easy but it does comein handy. Only thing that bugs me is it won;t work in our scaredy hole, but neither did the old phone.

Not a big cell phone user either. I have the basics. When I get a new one, the person always wastes their breath telling me all the features I can get with certain phones, but I tell them I want one with an unusual feature; I want one that makes and receives calls.

I still have a desk-top computer. I guess it's similar to the old days when people would gather around a Victrola or record player and listen to music as an activity within itself, but now we listen while doing other things. I guess I still like to be on computer as an activity of itself instead of doing it while I'm on the go.

Hehe. I had an employee call in. He was going be late because he had a flat tire. He had been late a few times in previous days. I said "you got a smart phone don't you? Take a picture of that tire right quick and send to me." He couldn't let the air out fast enough :lol2: , admitted he lied, apologized, promised to never lie or be late again, and is presently getting to work 15 minutes early. Times they are a changin.

I held out for a long time. A few months ago got an iphone 4 (which was the best deal I could get with shelling out any cash). I had been using a Motorola flip phone I bought in 2002. I never had a problem with it. Still has the original battery in it and was working fine. They told me the phone system would no longer be able to support that old phone. I think they just wanted to be able to track me.
I never understood all the rage with texting. Still don't. But with my job it's really cool to always have a camera with me, and be able to talk to customers about issues, take a picture and text it right now. It has become a valuable tool for me, and some of the apps are worth far more than they cost.
I enjoy getting text, pictures, and video from CT members too.

GO FOR IT CB!!!! My wife has had an iphone since shortly after they came out. I wouldn't even consider touching it back then. I'm not a gadget geek at all. I like things to stay the same, but this upgrade was one of the best decisions I ever made. I had never previously considered the value of having the internet, google searches, camera, radar, flightaware, protractor, level, GPS, email, Drudge Report, and the list goes on, right in my pocket. It really is a tool for me.

Latest posts