Improving Cell service

Help Support CattleToday:

JMJ Farms

Reaction score
I have a IPhone 6s. Verizon. Service is getting sorrier and sorrier. Verizon said upgrade to a new phone. But I just can't make myself spend $1k for a cellphone. Goes against my raising. Can't even talk in my house anymore. Any tips, tricks, solutions, updates, antennas, boosters, etc? I can walk around in the yard and talk but not inside. I'm pretty much illiterate when it comes to this new technology.

I've installed a few boosters at work. Not overly complicated and seem to help a little with reception. Antenna has to be a certain distance away from the booster, just look at the spec drawings and you'll be fine.

If you file enough complaints Verizon will let you out of your contract. The problem is there's nothing better in our area. Sprint, AT&T seems to be getting better and Verizon is definitely getting worse but not nearly as bad as T-Mobile.

I have a $150 Samsung smartphone doesn't miss a beat. Just go in Verizon and say you want the cheapest smartphone they have. That's what I did. Works great.

I have a booster. It helps a bunch.
You might check with neighbors as to who they use. Verizon made a bunch of land owners mad here and lost contracts on their towers so I went shopping and found that US Cellular has quite a bit better coverage here.

True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:
I have a $150 Samsung smartphone doesn't miss a beat. Just go in Verizon and say you want the cheapest smartphone they have. That's what I did. Works great.

Even on both sides of Budweiser hill?
It loses contact about halfway to Alamo, not sure about the far side of Budweiser hill.

ga.prime said:
True Grit Farms said:
ga.prime said:

Even on both sides of Budweiser hill?
It loses contact about halfway to Alamo, not sure about the far side of Budweiser hill.

Right after the sharp turn before you make the bridge?

One thing that may be worth trying... if you're getting poor LTE service, try turning LTE off in your settings. Phones will default to LTE if they think they are getting a sniff of it, and ignore good 3G service. There is a possibility that if you turn your LTE off that you have good 3G. Worth a try.

I don't know about boosting signal, but there are tons of used phones available that may be a total upgrade for you from 100 bucks on up. Don't fall for buying a new phone from Verizon. I have them and they forced me to replace my perfectly good flip phone in January. I sure as heck didn't buy from them! They do have the best coverage in the US and usually their support people are good, especially if you are nice to them but they do have their flaws like all big companies (and everybody including us LOL)

I have a Wilson booster and it helps tremendously. It's several years old but still works with the newer smart phones.
I have Verizon..relatively happy with it.
Verizon may be 'best' but it's no longer fastest.
https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/06/20/att-crowned-fastest-lte-network-in-pcmags-2019-tests/

https://9to5mac.com/2019/06/20/us-carriers-fastest-network-att/

Hippie Rancher said:
I don't know about boosting signal, but there are tons of used phones available that may be a total upgrade for you from 100 bucks on up. Don't fall for buying a new phone from Verizon. I have them and they forced me to replace my perfectly good flip phone in January. I sure as heck didn't buy from them! They do have the best coverage in the US and usually their support people are good, especially if you are nice to them but they do have their flaws like all big companies (and everybody including us LOL)

To add to this, if you buy a new phone, check to make sure that it has WiFi calling ability. Iphone 6 doesn't, but just about anything newer does. It allows you to make a call without cell reception as long as you're connected to wireless internet. It was a godsend when my wife moved in and we realized she didn't get cell service in the house.

I've had this IPhone 6 for about 6 years I think. They told me I had to upgrade. I told them I didn't.

Not under a contract with Verizon. But like Vince said, there aren't any other coverage options here. May try GaPrimes approach just to see if it will work. Phone calls like Buck suggested, through WiFi, would also be awesome. Then I could talk at home.

Also gonna try Silvers suggestion.

I think Verizon is/are crooks. They admitted to slowing down the older phones a while back.

25 years ago all I had was an old bag phone with an antenna on top of the truck. It NEVER dropped a call. Wish I had it back.

JMJ Farms said:
I've had this IPhone 6 for about 6 years I think. They told me I had to upgrade. I told them I didn't.

Not under a contract with Verizon. But like Vince said, there aren't any other coverage options here. May try GaPrimes approach just to see if it will work. Phone calls like Buck suggested, through WiFi, would also be awesome. Then I could talk at home.

Also gonna try Silvers suggestion.

I think Verizon is/are crooks. They admitted to slowing down the older phones a while back.

25 years ago all I had was an old bag phone with an antenna on top of the truck. It NEVER dropped a call. Wish I had it back.
No advice on the current but a funny story on bag phones. We were doing hurricane damage work in the coastal plains and once we got in almost any of the swamps we lost phone service. A guy accidentally let the antenna drop in the water and service suddenly became available and clear as bell. From then on anytime we wanted to call we "trolled" with the antenna in the water. :lol:

Silver said:
One thing that may be worth trying... if you're getting poor LTE service, try turning LTE off in your settings. Phones will default to LTE if they think they are getting a sniff of it, and ignore good 3G service. There is a possibility that if you turn your LTE off that you have good 3G. Worth a try.
Just tried this...it works, thanks :D

ga.prime said:

I am on my 4th other cheap Samsung's. I am terrible hard on electronic devices. Have porbbaly had ten the last three years. At 150 each, doesn't hurt nearly as bad. And the phone works great. Almost time for another.