CED and BW

Help Support CattleToday:

So "stacking low birth weight" is not necessarily bad? Or stacking of ced is bad? What is going to make cows get smaller pelvis' and start having trouble having calves? I don't want to seem difficult, but I think I have been having problems with some of the terminology/perception of what stacking low birthweight is and isn't.
To me, stacking low bw would be breeding a heifer to a low bw, below breed average bull, then breeding her heifer to a similar bull as a first calf heifer. Is that not stacking, regardless of what the ced indicates? I realize, or think I understand that the ced takes other things into consideration, one of them being shape. If we can even believe any of the numbers at all, that is.
I read your reply again SOB. I think I see the problem I have been having.
I am not putting enough weight on the cem maternal, to outweigh the downsides of keeping a low bw heifer calf? I know this is not that hard :?

talltimber":31s91667 said:
So "stacking low birth weight" is not necessarily bad? Or stacking of ced is bad? What is going to make cows get smaller pelvis' and start having trouble having calves? I don't want to seem difficult, but I think I have been having problems with some of the terminology/perception of what stacking low birthweight is and isn't.
To me, stacking low bw would be breeding a heifer to a low bw, below breed average bull, then breeding her heifer to a similar bull as a first calf heifer. Is that not stacking, regardless of what the ced indicates? I realize, or think I understand that the ced takes other things into consideration, one of them being shape. If we can even believe any of the numbers at all, that is.
I read your reply again SOB. I think I see the problem I have been having.
I am not putting enough weight on the cem maternal, to outweigh the downsides of keeping a low bw heifer calf? I know this is not that hard :?
Correct, stacking CED isn;t the issue. It's stacking low CEM that is the problem. CEM if producing replacments is much more important than CED or BW

dun":1r25geys said:
talltimber":1r25geys said:
What is going to make cows get smaller pelvis' and start having trouble having calves?
I think I have been having problems with some of the terminology....
If we can even believe any of the numbers at all, that is. I think I see the problem I have been having.
I am not putting enough weight on the cem maternal, to outweigh the downsides of keeping a low bw heifer calf?
Correct, stacking CED isn;t the issue. It's stacking low CEM that is the problem.
Right.
Not all double digit CED sires are created equal, some are above average CEM and some are below average CEM.
The same with bw while there is a strong correlation to ced, not all are created equal and so it varies from sire to sire.
As DOC HARRIS was fond of pointing out... don't just use single trait selection, look at all the information available to
breed more balanced cattle.

p.s.
tt hope I did not offend with my little JK it tickled me when I wrote it, but rereading it didn't seem as funny.

No, not at all. We're good.

dun, could you verify your last sentence is correct? If it is what you meant to type, I'm not following. Not nit picking, just trying to understand completely. Should CED and CEM be switched in the sentence?

talltimber":hisclznf said:
No, not at all. We're good.

dun, could you verify your last sentence is correct? If it is what you meant to type, I'm not following. Not nit picking, just trying to understand completely. Should CED and CEM be switched in the sentence?
Yup, you are correct. I changed it so it reads right now. I guess I get confused at 2 am. Anyway that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.