Caustic and Missing the Point

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
I am not stating this to incite an argument or anything.

But I have noticed in past few months when Caustic brings up a good point on raising cattle. I think many our missing the good advice that he gives and from others that comes out of the debate of the subject due to personal dislikes for him or his manner of telling things.

Herd a story one time about a young boy that pointed out to an adult that was a high up person in a local church (deacon, elder ???) about something that the man was doing that was not really Christian like. Well the man blew up and told the kid he had no right telling him what was what that he was an elder in the church bla bla bla......Well the preacher heard this and interrupted the man and said does it really matter who you hear the counsel from as long as it was accurate?

Be a shame to miss the message just because you did not like the messenger. :)

aplusmnt":94w4pbay said:
Be a shame to miss the message just because you did not like the messenger. :)

I somewhat agree, but sometimes it's the manner in the way the message is presented.

My Dad and Grand Dad taught me one important thing in life and that is RESPECT, and to get respect you must first show it.

I have listened to several things CB has had to say and agree that he gives some sound advice, but the norm on this board lately is to stir the pot and back off and watch the CHIT fly and that is the main reason I don't bother to post on here as much lately. We all can learn something from each other and it might help if we were to humble our selves like a small child and quit with the attitude of "WE KNOW IT ALL"

Just My HOBBY farmer opinion :)

CB has some good advice but it may not work for all management systems. The basic principal is the same though. If a cow won't make you a profit she needs to hit the road. Well once we get to that point, we need to find ways to increase the profit. This is where different management systems need to branch apart. The cattle business is not one size fits all. I hope CB keeps his opinions coming and sparks debate to reveal the profit making ideas of others. That is one of the things that make this board so great. I get to read all the different approaches to the cattle business and can learn from the experience of others.

Personally, I don't take offense to ANY poster's post unless it it making a personal attack on another poster. Some posters tend to be a little candid and to the point in their messages (I do sometimes also). However, in the long run I think it is better to get to the crux of the matter and tell it like it is rather than beat around the bush and still not communicate.

I for one have NEVER otherwise been offended or P...off by anyone's post. It helps to read all posts for what they communicate and not taking stuff personally. When people get a little off the wall, I just sit back, relax, and laugh at the controversies. After all,

"Sticks and bones will break my bones...but, words will never hurt me" (Author unknown).

So...y'all...PEACE and enjoy this Board for what it is. AND, there is a lot of GOOD advice here. And...don't get bent out of shape if someone's skin is a touch thicker than yours... ;-)

My Dad always said that a wise man learns from his mistakes, but a very wise man learns from the mistakes of others. Any time you want to get into something totally new, if you're not willing to listen to those who've spent alot of time doing it, you're likely going to pay a fair bit of education tax before you get it figured out. JMHO.

Got to sat that I've learned alot and had some lifelong myths shattered by keeping an open mind.
Folks need to be taken at face value...I personally like CB's posts, there usually is some wisdom hidde somewhere in his posts.
Just my two bits worth.....DMc

cowspider":8f7nb8hh said:
Hey, Anybody that looks like HOSS has to be a good Guy !! :cboy:

But you talk about wearing a BIG hat :cboy: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :cboy:

CB may be a lil ruff, but in the past I have learned from him. He has a lot of experience, and I am sure that a lot of it came from the school of hard knocks. He is one of my mentors on this board, and I want to thank him for his input, and advice.( I just wish sometimes that he had a lil different way of putting it) :)
He is not the only one on here that rubs my (our) fur the wrong way from time to time. ;-)
I remember a guy called " turn that cows head around maw" or something like that, that was a jerk (in my opinion) but, he did know cattle, and I did learn from him also.
I guess what I am saying is, we don't have to be tactfull to have savy, "but what does it hurt".

No CB you keep them coming, and I will keep reading, and learning.
God bless us everyone. And please remember the reason for the season.

Mac

Old Matthew and Kitty liked Doc and Festus both. Things were always just fine until you got Doc and Festus together.

A good debate shows both sides to a coin.

Ole Caustic can take care of hisself. When he misses the mark a small percentage of the time, the nay sayers keep him in check. He doesn't eat crow much.

I think CB likes to see who's bucket is full. From all the posts,A lot of folks with full buckets out there.

I think that most of the time what the man is trying to do is to get people to think, engage their brain. Unfortunately many people percieve it to be picking a fight.

JMHO

Katherine

Workinonit Farm,

I know it's JYHO, but you can't be serious. "Engage their brain"? His "my way or the hwy" mentality probably distances him from most that need the help.

As a hobby rancher who spends time on this board trying to learn,the best advice I can give to others is to ignore him and his information. Others here have the information you need without the BS.

Just had a thought. When was the last time he gave anyone information to a "specific beginner" you considered useful?

CW

RainMan":19r9r82y said:
As a hobby rancher who spends time on this board trying to learn,the best advice I can give to others is to ignore him and his information.

CW

I disagree. I think he's got alot to offer to all on here.

Wewild":cmtl7nwk said:
RainMan":cmtl7nwk said:
As a hobby rancher who spends time on this board trying to learn,the best advice I can give to others is to ignore him and his information.

CW

I disagree. I think he's got alot to offer to all on here.

I agree with both of you.
Ignore him when he is being a royal butt.
Other than that he is a wealth of info.
And a fun old fart at that.
MD

aplusmnt

Excellant thread. I think the consensus is CB is a pretty sharp guy and should stay around.
In my opinion he knows what he likes and is going to tell you that. He also knows that all regions are different and things have to be done differently. He just can't stand people who disagree with him and can't back what they are saying up.

I don't mean any harm by this and it's getting sad when you have to say it.

redfornow":3ejljrev said:
MD

That quote would be in the eye of the beholder.

His value would be a fact.

backhoeboogie":1c2xtqsw said:
Old Matthew and Kitty liked Doc and Festus both. Things were always just fine until you got Doc and Festus together.

A good debate shows both sides to a coin.

Ole Caustic can take care of hisself. When he misses the mark a small percentage of the time, the nay sayers keep him in check. He doesn't eat crow much.

Boogie you are right as I can do my own hunting.
I have enjoyed crow on a few occassions.
And Oh Rain Man you almost hurt one feeling if you can't hunt with the big dogs get back under the porch and whine.

RainMan":23rvgqk4 said:
Workinonit Farm,

I know it's JYHO, but you can't be serious. "Engage their brain"? His "my way or the hwy" mentality probably distances him from most that need the help.

Just had a thought. When was the last time he gave anyone information to a "specific beginner" you considered useful?

CW

Workinonit is no joker and is a long time respected member of the board, you wanna learn, then learn when to shut your yap and listen.

You wanna give advice hobby farmer, and that advice is to ignore CB??? :lol: :lol:

Talk cattle with CB, call him out hobby mouth.

AngusLimoX":1upducdv said:
RainMan":1upducdv said:
Workinonit Farm,

CW

Workinonit is no joker and is a long time respected member of the board, you wanna learn, then learn when to shut your yap and listen.

You wanna give advice hobby farmer, and that advice is to ignore CB??? :lol: :lol:

Talk cattle with CB, call him out hobby mouth.

Doggone it ole Caustic don't need my help. But I have to say it anyway. The ole boy has sent me some PMs over that last year and he knew exactly what he was talking about when I was sprigging and such.

There is no denying that I am a part timer. I can't say as I "legally" qualify as a hobby farmer cause I have made too many nickels per the legal description a few years, but I am certainly not a full time cattleman. But to quote RainMan as "Just had a thought. When was the last time he gave anyone information to a "specific beginner" you considered useful?" I found his advice EXTREMELY useful. Now I aint saying I agree with everything he says, but when he posts, I read his words.

Wewild":39gtu4c4 said:
I don't mean any harm by this and it's getting sad when you have to say it.

redfornow":39gtu4c4 said:
MD

That quote would be in the eye of the beholder.

His value would be a fact.

Wewild,
Not harm here.

It is also a fact that people are different.
What is a pain the butt to me well may not be to you.

But just like family, take the good with the bad.
Even if that means we have to pretend that uncle Johnny isnt drunk at thanksgiving.
It is what it is. It do what it does.

MD

Latest posts