Cattle Wormer's

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
Just wondering what kind Wormer's other farmer's use. We use the gernic ivermectin pour on.Have thought about trying Cydectin but have a buddy who tryed it and did not like it said he would never use it agin and it is a bit high priced.
rattler

rattler":1ustds61 said:
Just wondering what kind Wormer's other farmer's use. We use the gernic ivermectin pour on.Have thought about trying Cydectin but have a buddy who tryed it and did not like it said he would never use it agin and it is a bit high priced.
rattler
What was the problem with Cydectin? We use a rotation of Ivomec pour on, and Cydectin.The generic wormers seem to do the trick...But I figure if there is a difference, worming is no place to cut corners.

He said he had to pull some of his cow's back in and worm them agin to do the same job that ivomec did the first time.Also don't know if he rotate's with difrent wormer's.
Howmany time's a year do you worm your cattle.
rattler

rattler":1i7w5qyj said:
He said he had to pull some of his cow's back in and worm them agin to do the same job that ivomec did the first time.Also don't know if he rotate's with difrent wormer's.
rattler
Rattler,We worm in the Spring and Fall. I've never had any problem with Cydectin. Any new Cattle we buy are wormed when we unload them off the trailer.

Crowder im not sure how he worm's his use to help him a few year's back then he only wormed them in the spring.We may be wasting money cause we worm our's 3 time's a year.Do you use fly tag's?
rattler

rattler":1dhmkyn3 said:
Crowder im not sure how he worm's his use to help him a few year's back then he only wormed them in the spring.We may be wasting money cause we worm our's 3 time's a year.Do you use fly tag's?
rattler
Rattler, Many years ago I tried Fly Tags. I'll never use them again. I use Rubs, and Altosid Minerals. I may get some slack from saying that Tags dont work, but I felt they were a waste of time and money.

I use Dectomax pour on because I work for Pfizer and can get it pretty cheap has worked great for me so far

rattler":2x1gcoi9 said:
rattler

Humm wonder how he determined this. Did he scope (microscope)the poop and see something going on? Wormers don't work overnight.

I use Ivomec spring and Valbazen in the fall.

The only problem we had when we switched to Cydectin, was that it didn't seem to eliminate external parasites (ticks) nearly as well as Ivermectin. That could have been because of any number of reasons - extremely mild winter for ticks, etc.

Crowderfarms":2sekj5nn said:
shutskytj":2sekj5nn said:
I use Dectomax pour on because I work for Pfizer and can get it pretty cheap has worked great for me so far
So, When will all of us be getting our free cases of Dectomax?

Crowder I wish I could help you out I just get it at a cheaper rate not free

Cheap is good too. How many 5 L jugs can you get me? :lol: :lol:

I just priced some on Valley Vet and they have it for $297.50 per 5 L.

Pour-on's just don't seem to work well for us. We alternate every six months with Ivomec injectable and Valbazen. The combination seems to handle everything.

Has anyone used the feed through wormer? I've seen it around and was wondering how well it worked. Especially for cattle you can't get your hands on.

I have used it as well as the blocks. I don't really like either. The blocks leave the question did this perticular one really get what it was supposed to. And its expensive. The feed through I mixed in with feed and fed for about a month. I perfer to pour them while they are lined up in the chute. Just walk down the line and pour it on. To me this is the best method. I know for sure that they got what they were supposed to.

flaboy dont think he scoped the poop think think he was judgeing the way is cattle were looking.Know they don't work overnight this was over a period of time.
rattler

A word of caution, many people believe their wormer isn't working because some or all of their cattle look wormy. Unless you do a proper fecal (ie under a microscope), you don't know for sure. The wormy look could be due to genetics, minerals/nutrition, or time of year. Other things to consider would be proper dosing or missing cattle. Management methods such as pasture rotation is helpful also. Having your vet do an occasional fecal and helping determine a proper deworming program could be well worth the few dollars spent on a fecal. Also, deworm the calves at the same time. Studies have shown a 29 lb. weaning wt. increase.
I have had luck with fly tags. I put them on in late spring or early summer at the same time I use pour-on. The pour-on kills the flies present and tags prevent or slow down repopulation. Follow directions concerning when to remove. I f you leave them in too long, the low level of insecticide will only help select for resistance. Remember to rotate between classes.

Latest posts