Cattle Working

Help Support CattleToday:

wtrapp

Reaction score
First time to post in this section and looking for opinions. I've been working (shots and worming) my "cows" twice a year. Some of these cows are now 7-9 years old. Just wondering if y'all see any reason to continue giving shots for the same things year after year. Will continue to give calves shots twice per year through weaning but just don't know about the cows. Thoughts please. Thanks,

Read the labels on what you're giving them. Alot of the vaccines are a once a year deal so you might cut out one shot and for worming I like to use injectable in the fall and just a pour on in the spring as the pour on will knock down the flies some. But the short answer is,yes. You need to keep you older cows up to date as well.

wtrapp said:
I've been working (shots and worming) my "cows" twice a year. Some of these cows are now 7-9 years old. Just wondering if y'all see any reason to continue giving shots for the same things year after year. Will continue to give calves shots twice per year through weaning but just don't know about the cows. quote]

Some operations never give cows shots. If you have a closed herd, and you have no black leg in the soil, that may work fine. I booster cows once a year using 7 way with pink eye and Triangle 10.

Stocker Steve":z7n11b81 said:
wtrapp":z7n11b81 said:
I've been working (shots and worming) my "cows" twice a year. Some of these cows are now 7-9 years old. Just wondering if y'all see any reason to continue giving shots for the same things year after year. Will continue to give calves shots twice per year through weaning but just don't know about the cows. quote]

Some operations never give cows shots. If you have a closed herd, and you have no black leg in the soil, that may work fine. I booster cows once a year using 7 way with pink eye and Triangle 10.
it dont take but one buzzard to change all that... i once drove through a pasture with a fellow looking at his herd and found a calf dead from blackleg... soon as i got home i washed my tires down, and soaked them with bleach

I have been told that deer carry Lepto and can bring it in from somewhere else. Vet told use to do the lepto vaccines twice a year.

tom4018":fajqejqw said:
I have been told that deer carry Lepto and can bring it in from somewhere else. Vet told use to do the lepto vaccines twice a year.

I would definitely give the Lepto vaccine twice a year. I use Bovi Shield Gold 5L thirty days before the breeding season (October for me)
and Cydectin pour on, I then give a booster with just Leptoferm 5 in April/May. Calves get a dose of Bovi Shield Gold 5 and a blackleg
shot in October as well. Calves are given another does of Bovi Shield 5 and another Blackleg shot, and wormed at weaning. (April)
I would not take a chance on the Blackleg or the Lepto....Vaccines are pretty cheap on those.

mrvictordomino":3512rz9h said:
tom4018":3512rz9h said:

I would definitely give the Lepto vaccine twice a year. I use Bovi Shield Gold 5L thirty days before the breeding season (October for me)
and Cydectin pour on, I then give a booster with just Leptoferm 5 in April/May. Calves get a dose of Bovi Shield Gold 5 and a blackleg
shot in October as well. Calves are given another does of Bovi Shield 5 and another Blackleg shot, and wormed at weaning. (April)
I would not take a chance on the Blackleg or the Lepto....Vaccines are pretty cheap on those.
We are on the May /November schedule but going to move it to April/October, we feel it worth the extra few bucks for the twice a year shots. Vet suggested we move up a month to get the pinkeye vaccine in them earlier.

Thanks for the opinions. Should have looked at the bottle as it says to booster then annually. Have a good day.

wtrapp":w5vr0j4g said:
Thanks for the opinions. Should have looked at the bottle as it says to booster then annually. Have a good day.
The bottle will say give a booster initially, but we are saying to continue to give the Lepto every six months.
This is really needed if you live in deer country.

W-5":1bo0thkg said:
Is it safe to give a bred cow a lepto shot?
I just use the Lepto vaccine by itself when giving the booster when the cows are bred. I use the modifyed live vaccines
for prebreeding that has the lepto included after the cows have calved.

Latest posts