Cattle trailer slip-free wooden floor?

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
Buying a new 6x 16 bumper pull trailer with wooden floor. Should I add something to the floor to minimize cattle slipping and falling, or just use as it is? I have heard of using bull panels and stapling them down. Even heard of welding up a rebar mesh. I don't want any cows falling down as I drive.
A second question/concern is a cow damaging her feet. This concern stems from a recent trip to the vet where a cow chipped a chunk out of a toe, requiring another trip to the vet, a lot of limping, followed by a long healing period. Any ideas?

In our aluminum trailer we have nothing to keep them from slipping and have never had a problem, I would think that the wood should be alright, I guess if it gets wet it could be slick. Rubber mats are pretty spendy but maybe weld in some expanded metal, wouldnt be to hard on their feet and they wouldnt slip

Our floor is rough cut oak. When they're loaded fairly tight we don;t have a problem. Floor gets pretty slick with moo mud and oee but the only time that comes into play is when they jump out instead of walking.

dun

I have bull panel in mine and it works good for cattle but horses get there shoes hung on it.
I have seen a couple people nail boards to the floor of the trailer in the shape of a V . They said it worked good for both cattle and horses.

Cormac":303qoayp said:
Buying a new 6x 16 bumper pull trailer with wooden floor. Should I add something to the floor to minimize cattle slipping and falling, or just use as it is? I have heard of using bull panels and stapling them down. Even heard of welding up a rebar mesh. I don't want any cows falling down as I drive.
A second question/concern is a cow damaging her feet. This concern stems from a recent trip to the vet where a cow chipped a chunk out of a toe, requiring another trip to the vet, a lot of limping, followed by a long healing period. Any ideas?

You might think about nailing/screwing rounded boards (like those cut off the outside of a fence post) every foot or so. It would provide traction without the problems of chipping toes or damaging feet.

I usually just throw an old bale of hay in there and scatter it out. Need to clean it out once in a while. Laid one of those inch thick 4'x6' rubber mats across the back to keep em from spinning a wheel when they get off.

cfpinz

I use 4'X6' stall mats in my aluminum but Dad and I used to put down a gate like sat of cross pieces in the old truck then put dry sawdust coating to absorb moisture. Whatever you use clean the trailer frequently to keep the floor dry.

I made a grid out of 3/8" rebar. It works great.

I had to build some brackets to hold it down at the 4 corners because several times a cow was able to lift it up.

It also makes it hard to clean out the trailer after each use. I either have to take out the manure covered grid or try to wash and sweep across the grid.

I clean it out after each use and I still have the original floor after 20 years.

I use old conveyor belts. Works great but from time to time you need to remove them to make sure you ain't got moisture trapped underneth causing rot.

dun- oee and moo mud? Ahhhhhhahhhhhh! I'll be laughing all night at that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

stall mats or a sheet of that rumber stuff....they shure don't slip on that stuff....i just use rough sawn oak boards with hay on it....have the rumber on my 4 horse head to head.

Rubber mats are the quick and easy method; cut them to fit and they'll stay put; easy to clean out and provides solid firm footing as well as absorbing some road shock. Rumber floors are nice but are slippier than mats.

Ahhh!!...So many people with so many honourable, but work intensive solutions! Take a pressure washer, blow down the boards clean, let them air dry clean and throw some tar on it and then coarse gravel on top. Enjoy.

Or just do what my uncle does and just drive down to the nearest beach or gravel pit and shovel in a 1/2 yard of fine sand. Works beautifully for him and his wood floor.

dun":1ztm3388 said:
Our floor is rough cut oak. When they're loaded fairly tight we don;t have a problem. Floor gets pretty slick with moo mud and oee but the only time that comes into play is when they jump out instead of walking.

dun
Have had the same thing in our trailer for years works great only takes a few minutes to install and will last as long as the floor.LOL

If you have a bunch of money burning a hole in your pocket get the floor and about 18"-2' up the sides Rhino lined. They can spray it in with a real rough texture and it seals the floor and seams where the stuff can't get down and start rotting the floor or eating up the sides. Makes it easier to wash out to.Z

I'm getting ready to have to put a new floor in my 6x18 g/n cow wagon. When this came up here I went ahead and called a couple of local places this morning and we're looking at about $450 for a spray in liner. That about 150 sq. ft. with the sides.Z

Have seen cows, bulls, calves n all slip and fall, I put some concrete re-wire in the floor stapled it in, haven't had one fall yet. N didnt' have to buy the wire, An old buddy of mine who finishes concrete gave me more than enough, the rest I made some tomato cages for my neighbors, who love to garden. It has worked well so far.

tryinhard

Latest posts