Cattle Trailer Floor Wood

Help Support CattleToday:

We use pressure treated Yellow Pine. Use on both livestock & utility trailers.

I "suppose" Cypress (that naturally lives in water) would work; however, no idea what the "test strength" of cypress is.

Whatever wood you decide to use (other posters probably have more suggestions), always be sure to wash out your trailer floor after a hauling.

I have used native oak on mine. Just finished replacing the floor for the 2nd time in my 20' gooseneck trailer. First one lasted over 17 years. Got a lumber mill close to where I live, and they special cut whatever size I want. Then I treated it with some wood preserver.
And as RAB said, be sure to wash out real good, after each hauling.

I have a pine floor in mine. Last Saturday I was hauling a couple bulls to the vet for BSE. The floor in my trailer is 2 1/2 years old. When I got there one of the boards on one side was completely gone. I bout had a heart attack. The bull in that section weighs 2700 so it's a lot of weight per sq inch. I will be replacing the floor with Oak.

Isomade":18ukxm9i said:
I have a pine floor in mine. Last Saturday I was hauling a couple bulls to the vet for BSE. The floor in my trailer is 2 1/2 years old. When I got there one of the boards on one side was completely gone. I bout had a heart attack. The bull in that section weighs 2700 so it's a lot of weight per sq inch. I will be replacing the floor with Oak.

2" oak would be the strongest, and the heaviest. On a 16" trailer, I'd guess oak is heavy enough to cost a calf
(say 500 lb) against the gross weight rating.

Caustic Burno":sbzy5pua said:
The type wood isn't as important as the bracing under it.

CB is right. If your bracing isn't strong enough or close enough your screw anyway. Best thing for any trailer is to wash it out after every trip. My granddad has a 30 year old bumper pull that is in great shape. He just replaced the floor two years ago. He washed it out after every trip. I've seen trailers 5 years old that were rusted completely through, never saw a water hose.

circlew":2jt1ntbn said:
Caustic Burno":2jt1ntbn said:
The type wood isn't as important as the bracing under it.

CB is right. If your bracing isn't strong enough or close enough your screw anyway. Best thing for any trailer is to wash it out after every trip. My granddad has a 30 year old bumper pull that is in great shape. He just replaced the floor two years ago. He washed it out after every trip. I've seen trailers 5 years old that were rusted completely through, never saw a water hose.

Wash it down after each use and spray it down with diesel when it dries it will last forever.

I used 2x8 oak bridge timber that had been space stacked and in a dry barn for about 15 years. Before we put it in it was treated with several coats of black oil. On the metal that it was going to set on we put a real thick layer of a water resistant Greese that I'm not using anymore so I was trying to get rid of it. After it was in we did a few more coats of black oil and we wash very often.

I'll bet the EPA would be happy with the way your recycling the oil and grease on that floor. You would get the "Green" sticker from me.

Two inch oak is much stronger than pine or cypress. You can use two inch pressure treated pine but you need to keep an eye on it. I have to check and recheck and still do stupid things. Nothing like walking to the truck and turn around and have the herd following. I just make a wide swing and walk back to the pasture gate like it was planned. Glad I have a tame herd.
Like i said, keep an eye on it. All of it comes apart sooner or later. Never had one step through but it definitely can happen. It sure would make me sick to lose one like that.

I bought some oak boards maybe 10 years ago from a local cross tie mill that have held up well. They were not run through a planer so they were a little rough but they are a real 2" thick. They probably cost me about the same as treated pine would have at the time. I feel that the steel under most stock trailers could use some reinforcement. I welded in some galvanized channel iron before replacing my floor.

We use walnut in all the floors that have been replaced. We have a floor in the low boy that has been in for 18 years it has not chipped up like oak does and has not rotted. Will cut all the sap wood off the walnut. Have a neighbor that uses red cedar in his floors it last a long time in his trailors.

Latest posts