smnherf

Reaction score
I thought i would share some pictures of my cattle

First is my herd bull Liberty
l
DSCN02311.JPG

The next is my calveing ease bull, Mackintosh
mackinto.jpg

A picture of a steer and heifer I sold at the Excellence sale in Brookings last weekend
DSCN0270.JPG

The heifer, she is a M326 out of a first calf Mac daughter

DSCN0276.JPG

Steer and heifer at the sale, steer sired by Liberty
DSCN0281.JPG

Any comments or questions are more than welcome! You won't hurt my feelings.

I'm not a fan of Herefords, but I sure do like Mac. and those are a couple of fine calves. I really like that heifer, a lot. How old is the heifer in the pictures?

I don't see anything wrong with a bull like liberty that can produce offspring like the two you show here. Don't worry about the bulls look at this point! Nice calves. All of them.
By the way. How old is Liberty and what is his blood line if you don't mind me asking?

Ryan, The heifer is a late February.

1848, Liberty is sired by KPH Phase 121 out of a BJH Prospector 51M cow. He was purchased from Doug Gerber at his dispersion sale. He was born in 2001 and I have a several calf crops out of him. He is in the top 30% of the breed for every trait except for REA and Fat thickness. People either love him or hate him, but he is a herd changer. He lowers birthweight, adds performance both at weaning and in the feedlot, adds thickness and increases fleshing ability like no other bull I have ever used natrually or AI. He will NOT be culled anytime soon.

Here he is at 3 years of age after cleaning up 48 head of heifers from mid May to July 1 and then cleaning up 65 head of cows post AI'ing. Picture was taken in late August just before he was pulled from cows.
liberty.jpg

The Mac bull is a Braxton Giant son. I lost him a two years ago when he was breeding cows at 10 years old. He crawled in with the 3 neighbors bulls. He is a heifer bull that has left me a great nucleas of touble free cows. I have sold several of his sons into commercial Angus herds for use on their first calf heifers. They love them for their ease of calving and the crossbred calves grow well. Several sell their bwf steers out of their heifers with the all black caves out of their mature cows as they will weigh the same.

Thanks for looking everyone.

Brian

Nice looking Herefords. I am not a big fan of Phase, but that Mac bull sure looks good. Nice looking heifers, especially the M326 daughter. The steers look good too.

KNERSIE":127404x5 said:
It's amazing how different the same bull can look in two different pictures!
You are right, KNERSIE. Pretty is as pretty does, and obviously Liberty is a prepotent bull, and that is what makes you money! The day the first picture was taken he might have been worked down and having a bad day. This is an example of why selectring a bull on the strength of one picture is NOT a good idea! This takes nothing from Macintosh! He is a bull with great phenotype characteristics, and his length will provide fine capacity to replacement heifers, as well as his other obviously excellent functional traits! smnherf, your careful selection choice of Macintosh shows a lot of thought and searching went into finding him. Well done!

DOC HARRIS

KNERSIE":w2cu9vpa said:
It's amazing how different the same bull can look in two different pictures!
In the first picture of Liberty, the shadow of his tail running down his rump, makes his butt look inadequate. Very nice cattle. Thank you for sharing Brian.
B.

Very nice looking cattle looks like you do your homework the one thing I don't like about the first bull is his head

Thanks for the comments everyone. My breeding plan does not focus on raising show cattle. If a few come a long that will work for that, I will let them have them for the right price. My goals are to produce low to moderate birthweight high performaning, low maintenance range bulls that sire problem free females and industry friendly steers. Most of them go on commercial angus cows.

Mac has done a great job here in provideing me with a good cow base and Liberty is a great compliment in adding thickness, fleshing ability, performance and while maintaing low birthweight with breed leeding growth. He isn't perfect, but I haven't found the perfect bull yet.

Here are 3 sons of Liberty from last years bull crop. They were not heavily fed. In fact they averaged .18 of backfat at ultrasounding time.

0510.JPG

Liberty X 506E. A little framier than most Libertys

0573_577.JPG

Librty X Banner Impact. (Bull on right) May calf that grew real well. A very typical looking Liberty calf.

0543.JPG

Liberty X Mac daughter. This bull has some really good Epds. A little set to his rear leg, but he was the high gaining bull in the pen.

And here is a Mac son that I sold to a neighbor a couple years ago for use on his first calf heifers. He calved really easily, and I like the bred heifers out of him so much that I will probably have him collected for use on some of my own heifers and cows. Maybe even linebreed a little bit to him!

0232b.jpg

Mac X WNH Easy Producer 9517

Thanks for looking everyone.

Brian

Latest posts