Cattle oilers

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Wondering what can be used in cattle oilers... we picked one up for $5 at an auction.. we're organic, so we have to stay with pyrethrine/rotenone based insecticides.. but I was wondering if what you put in them has to be oil based, or if a water based solution would work too.. I picked up a gallon of Absorbine which works very well and can be diluted... wondering if it would work in the oiler?

I've heard of people putting diesel in them too.. but I don't like that idea too much

Anything that evaporates quickly won;t do much good. We use Permectin II in ours mixed with diesel. We've only been doing it for 15 years or so with no issues. From the time the calves are old enough to start going into the water points or through a gate between pastures they are exposed to them/it.

you ever checked into using Neem oil? it should comply with organic standards

We have a couple ounces of Neem oil... would like to know where you can get bigger quantities, as well as how much of it is needed.. we'd mix it with a veggie oil probably

I know that Absorbine Ultra shield stays active for about 3 weeks (according to the label), and we don't get much rain, so it wouldn't wash off... I'm just wondering if the oiler would work with a water based solution

Latest posts