cattle herd

Help Support CattleToday:

98 head of older cows (angus X hereford, and angus), 110 head of 2nd calvers (also F-1's), 1 registered heifer (Angus),1 pet steer,and keeping 75 head of replacement heifers. (I asked an old rancer how many cows he had, and he said that's like him asking me how much money I have in the bank.)

Bez,
Sounds like it's working for you. Have a question though : how are you getting around having the beef gov't inspected? That's the kicker for us up here. I can slaughter all the steers and culls I want, but Federal law prohibits selling uninspected meat.

PM me if you want to keep a low profile, but I'm really interested in knowing if there's a potential loophole - would open up a nice window of opportunity.

Take care.

No need to keep this quiet - it's on the up and up. Maybe others will find the info useful. We do not sell individual pieces of meat - we sell it by the 1/2 or whole - no other size - otherwise it becomes too much of a hassle. When we get two orders - enough to kill one animal - off it goes. So far the one that brings the biggest interest has been in the grass finished product - who am I to argue - we have both available - customer gets what he wants - period. We need his money badly.

I am not getting around the inspection. The abbatoir has inspectors come in and do their thing.

Steer is taken into chute - shot - skinned, etc - hung up - cooled and inspected by provincial or federal guys / gals who come through a couple of times a week.

Butcher in the plant cuts it to customer specs.

Side benefit of this is we actually get to see the carcass - and we get them graded - allowing us to improve our final product through better breeding.

Customers pick up the meat after they pay us.

Job done.

I think you should make some calls and see if there is a plant near you that has inspectors come in - if I am correct, almost all - if not all - are now required to have inspectors come in.

When we lived in Fairview we used to take a couple to the plant just outside Grand Prairie - can't remember the name but it was across from the Case dealership and near the sale barn on the north end of town as I recall. They had the same type of operational set up. They were good operators and did a bang up job.

There we only sold a couple of steers to local friends and neighbours. That's where wife got the idea. One ad in the local paper here received several responses. Then we moved onto the city - more readers and of course less competition from our farm friends here. So, now we have to decide what to do for next year - continue and grow, or use this as "just for now". We will see.

On a side note, priced out a prime rib roast at "Farm Boy" last week - $22.00 per pound.

Anyway - never hurts to give it a try - you have nothing to lose and perhaps a few bucks to gain.

Regards

Bez

I must say if you have any other ideas - put them out - I want to hear them.

Bez

Dee":zgjivd4a said:
I asked an old rancer how many cows he had, and he said that's like him asking me how much money I have in the bank.

That's the way I was brought up. If they are your neighbor they don't need to ask because they can probably figure it pretty close by how many bulls you run or how much land you operate. If they're not your neighbor and they ask that question they are from town and don't know better or they are being nosy and trying to size you up. Odds are, if it's the latter, they will figure you're lying one way or the other. It's not like it's a huge slap in the face or anything, it's just not a polite question. My dad would answer some days too many, some days not enough.

Craig-TX

40 head at the moment. 15 cow/calf pairs, 9 yearlings and a herd sire. Registered Murray Grey and MG crosses.

Craig-TX":1m7bfd3c said:
Dee":1m7bfd3c said:
I asked an old rancer how many cows he had, and he said that's like him asking me how much money I have in the bank.

That's the way I was brought up. If they are your neighbor they don't need to ask because they can probably figure it pretty close by how many bulls you run or how much land you operate. If they're not your neighbor and they ask that question they are from town and don't know better or they are being nosy and trying to size you up. Odds are, if it's the latter, they will figure you're lying one way or the other. It's not like it's a huge slap in the face or anything, it's just not a polite question. My dad would answer some days too many, some days not enough.

Craig-TX

Dads favorite reponse is too many when we are feeding and not enough when it is time to sell.

I dont get why people get offended by that question. I wonder if its just a regional thing b/c around here its like asking where someone is from. God forbid someone try to make conversation.

Beefy":26rnm61p said:
I dont get why people get offended by that question. I wonder if its just a regional thing b/c around here its like asking where someone is from. God forbid someone try to make conversation.
I'm with txag, Pat and Craig on this one. I really couldn't believe anybody answered. Beefy, the way I was raised, its considered nosey and ill-mannered to ask.

My feelings on the subject are real simple. If I don't bank with you or sleep with you, its none of your business.....

I have been watching this thread for some western banker to say 50,000.

I always tell people how many head I run - they then know how deep in debt we are - keeps the sales guys away - they do not waste their time with triflers like me.

Just another broke canuckleheaded cattle guy.

Bez

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1299jbpc said:
Told ya this would start a ruckus ! LOL

You were right I usally say itty bitty .I really don't know why I replied as Texan and Craig stated its rude to ask in my neck of the woods.

Kind of the same up here. Usually nobody asks how many cattle anyone runs. Weird but true. I guess it's along the thinking of Texan's post about nosiness. No offense to Txshowmom.

Take care.

Latest posts