cattle handling

Help Support CattleToday:

Haven't ever noticed a difference in ease of use or effectiveness

If you brand them on the end of rope, you'll have much better stories to tell.

Straight.

Spooky cattle will try to jump and climb tapered sides. My old chute was tapered and the new chute is straight. Difference is night and day.

It took me years to understand temple grandin
Think like a cow, not like a human trying to decide what a cow likes. I was amazed at the differences in climb out incidents on tapered chutes vs straight. Straight for us all the way now.

Another vote for straight.

I also agree with the "think like a cow" comment. Cows aren't dumb. If you have a bit of patience and let the cow consider her situation for a moment, most often the cow will decide to do the right thing that you want her to do on her own. If you push her too hard, you and her are guaranteed to have problems, most likely with a lot of cussin' and discussin' included :idea:

I've seen cattle successfully worked quietly and without fanfare through some pretty borderline and rinky-dink facilities. And I've seen some real train wrecks where it was lucky someone didn't get seriously hurt in "good" facilities when a lot of whoopin' and hollerin' was involved. If both you and the cow can maintain a positive attitude, that is much more important to the final result than the actual physical facility.

I guess I'm trying to summarize Soapweed's philosophy, somewhat paraphrased, "The best way to work cattle fast is to work cattle slow".

John SD":2o37autq said:
I've seen cattle successfully worked quietly and without fanfare through some pretty borderline and rinky-dink facilities. If both you and the cow can maintain a positive attitude, that is much more important to the final result than the actual physical facility.

I guess I'm trying to summarize Soapweed's philosophy, somewhat paraphrased, "The best way to work cattle fast is to work cattle slow".
Have you been sneaking around checking out our facilitys?

dun":2yby2sru said:
John SD":2yby2sru said:
I've seen cattle successfully worked quietly and without fanfare through some pretty borderline and rinky-dink facilities. If both you and the cow can maintain a positive attitude, that is much more important to the final result than the actual physical facility.

Have you been sneaking around checking out our facilitys?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In my younger days I used to work as a vet's helper ;-) I've seen things :p

Old maid neighbor lady, it seemed her favorite materials for corral construction were wood slat snowfence tied to steel posts with orange plastic baler twine. If cows knocked it down, add another layer of snowfence :bang:

Latest posts