cattle gaurd

Help Support CattleToday:

I know a lot of the University web sites have designs for that sort of things. I have seen corrals, gates, barns etc. Don't remember a cattle gaurd. I think North Dakota State had the most plans i've seen. Hope that helps, sorry I couldn't give you a direct link to what you want.

12 or so 2 3/8s or 2 7/8s pipes with 3-4 4" runners depending on the length... no wings. I prefer to set posts on each side or box in the sides if it needs a swing gate.

I don't have pics of the ones I actually like but these give a good idea of how a person could build them.
0052-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

008.jpg

The one's I've built use either four 7" pipes or six 5.5" pipes for the main supports and 2 7/8" drill stem for the cross pipes spaced at 5 inches. I put the main beams where the treads of the vehicles are rather than just spacing them equal distances across the full width like some do.

To attach the drill stem to the load bearing pipes, I use 3" long pieces of 1 x 1 x 1/8" angle iron. Make a good weld to the drill stem and then take a hammer and bend it around the 7" or 5.5" pipe and you have two solid welds that are easy to get to with full coverage and no gaps. Welding pipe to pipe is much harder with less actual surface welded.

Good luck.

From what I've seen, the main part of the job is not building the guard - in most cases it's a simple welding project - it's preparing the ground to set it in securely. Often that involves formed concrete, or working in very rocky soil, or both. You usually want to have some kind of plate around it to keep the space under it from catching water and filling up with silt. Or, it can be built up over the road level with open drainage under it, like the one in the pictures.

I strongly recommend going to Google Images (images.google.com) and enter "cattle guard" - you'll get a couple hundred pictures of them in every imaginable design. Good starting point for your planning. Here:

http://tinyurl.com/3lk6bzz

Keep us updated if you can. It's on my "to do" list as well.

Latest posts