Cattle feed

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave Clarkson

Reaction score
I see a wide variety in price in cattle feed in places like tractor supply, rural king and southern states.

a nutrena feed from rural king is 18% protein with 3% fat and costs around $12 a bag. Power stroke from southern states is 16% protein and 3.5% protein. I think I was quoted around $15 a bag. Southern states also has a 15% protein with around 2% fat for just under $9 a bag.

I buy a nutrena 15% protein with 2% fat for around $9.50 a bag. This is what I feed my calves that I wean. I bought some 15% protein 2% fat from rural king for $7 a bag. It was ground up more and didn't seem to be as good of quality. I assume that is cheaper because it did not list vitamins or other additives.

so, what do you need for weaned calves to put a prevent lose and put weight on?

what is a good feed for a creep feeder for young calves?

I would assume something like the cheap rural king feed would be good for cows because I just use it to move them or work them. I have been giving some to a couple of orphan calves and they seem to be doing fine.

I was also told you could expect 1 lb of gain per 7lbs of feed fed. Is that close?

I know I unpacked a lot here but it is confusing. I am not sure why some feeds are so expensive or what is the best to feed for a particular job.
Thanks for any info.

Yeah the feed mill will be a better place. I only buy a couple bags here and there and the other day i didn't feel like driving out to the feed mill so i got a couple bags from where i get my mineral at (small feed store in town). The store in town charged 8 dollars and something for #50 bag of 12% whereas the feed mill charges 11 dollars for a 100# bag of 12%.

We buy 5 way mix that is 14% for .135 a pound around here. We get it bulk sacks. Its a pain when scooping out with buckets but most people empty them in a creep feeder

When their is decent forage available I use a 10% textured feed that has a molasses taste and smell to get them started. I feed it in open troughs so they all can get to it together. Start them slow with this and some hay.
After a week or so when they start cleaning up that real well I start transitioning them to a small pellet 14% that I buy by the pallet at the mill. About 5 lbs a day for 500 to 600 lb calves. They are on pasture with this. . Gains will vary from 1 1/4 lb per day up to 3 lbs per day with an average a little over 1 1/2 lb per day. Feeding them more than this gets them to full and you will get discounted and the extra feed is a waste. I used to feed with a creep feeder but some eat all day and some never eat at all. As a result some get butterball fat and then the whole group gets discounted. So now I hand feed out of a bag even though its more expensive feed wise and more labor intensive. On the plus side, the calves get real gentle and use to people and do good when they sale as the buyers like a uniform, calm lot.

On the rare occasions that I feed a grain to weaned calves I use one that Purina called PreCon 5. They changed the name and I don't remember what they call it now. I feed it for a week to 10 days. Then switch to what ever is available. Most of the time they get decent alfalfa and no feed. Often alfalfa for the first 4 or 5 days and then kicked out to pasture. It depends on the time of the year as to what they get fed.

I agree with the above post recommending to go to a feed mill. You can get bulk feed rations cheaper, They can likely also recommend a ration that fits your needs. We store ours in gravity wagons and the feed mill delivers. I feed our weaned calves a mix of corn, soy hulls and corn gluten pellets. On occasion I have used a weaning/preconditioning bagged ration from either Purina or Southern States just long enough to get them transitioned to eating good when weaning calves not used to feed or for purchased stocker calves. If my calves are used to eating some feed like in the winter when I feed cows, at weaning I just feed them the same bulk feed that everything else is getting.

1) Best to introduce calves on feed before weaning to minimize stress.
2) Sweet feed is easier for getting them started.
3) I don't believe in lick tubs - - except for having one in the weaning pen to keep the shy calves' stomach going.
4) Feed conversion varies greatly. Ten to one conversion is a safer assumption for creep.

A little prep and a little TLC can eliminate having to treat any weaned calves.

Basically it comes down to complete versus non-complete feeds. Sweet cob or a 4-way mix is considered a non-complete fed because it is only corn, oats, barley and molasses and is not properly balanced to contain all of the necessary nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. A sweet cob is usually what I use to finish out our beef because it is the cheapest option (in Ca, it's still around $12.95 a bag - eek). In your case however, if your looking for a creep type of starter feed, I'm sure it comes down to product nutrients. It looks like you've done a great job at comparing price vs % of protein & fat. I do not know much about levels that are necessary for a creep/starter feed, but I would just make sure it's a complete feed and specific to what stage the animal is at (creep/growing/finishing).
Honestly I think some feeds are more expensive than others because they claim to be the best in the business. A good example is Blue Buffalo dog food, it's about $50 a bag and great food don't get me wrong, but Diamond pet foods are almost ingredient for ingredient the same and it's closer to $30/bag. I have worked at our local feed store for almost 8 years and it has taught me a lot.

Basically it comes down to complete versus non-complete feeds. Sweet cob or a 4-way mix is considered a non-complete fed because it is only corn, oats, barley and molasses and is not properly balanced to contain all of the necessary nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. A sweet cob is usually what I use to finish out our beef because it is the cheapest option (in Ca, it's still around $12.95 a bag - eek). In your case however, if your looking for a creep type of starter feed, I'm sure it comes down to product nutrients. It looks like you've done a great job at comparing price vs % of protein & fat. I do not know much about levels that are necessary for a creep/starter feed, but I would just make sure it's a complete feed and specific to what stage the animal is at (creep/growing/finishing).
Honestly I think some feeds are more expensive than others because they claim to be the best in the business. A good example is Blue Buffalo dog food, it's about $50 a bag and great food don't get me wrong, but Diamond pet foods are almost ingredient for ingredient the same and it's closer to $30/bag. I have worked at our local feed store for almost 8 years and it has taught me a lot.
I believe most vets would say Blue Buffalo is not a high quality food. They don't spend a ton on R&D. They just spend a ton on marketing.

Just a note... pet food manufacturers are required to list their ingredients in descending order if the amount of the ingredient in the ration. Tho two competing brands may have the same ingredients the amount of each of these ingredients in the ration may vary greatly thus the large difference in cost. After the first 5 or 6 ingredients the remaining ingredients are included in very small amounts anyway. Livestock feed ingredients may be listed in any order and most companies use all inclusive generic terms (grain products, processed grain NT-products) so you really have no idea what may be in the mix.

Yes that is exactly my point. It's a decent food but yes all that money is spent on marketing. You worded it much better than I did, thank you!
I have a friend that works in a high end feed producer ( Cargill) he is plant manager he said their cost per 100lbs was .25. That's 25 cents per 100 pounds. They are making some coin

I have a friend that works in a high end feed producer ( Cargill) he is plant manager he said their cost per 100lbs was .25. That's 25 cents per 100 pounds. They are making some coin
Really? I know someone who works at Purina plants. He has said that they lose money on feed. They make all of their money on mineral.

Can that be correct? That is five dollars per ton. Not sure of any feed ingredients that cheap.

Can that be correct? That is five dollars per ton. Not sure of any feed ingredients that cheap.
Realistically that was 5 years ago when we had that conversation. But even then that's pretty good. They have since shut that plant down is why I haven't spoken with him since

I believe most vets would say Blue Buffalo is not a high quality food. They don't spend a ton on R&D. They just spend a ton on marketing.
Most vets take one (1) nutrition class in college. Nothing worse than Science Diet yet it is "Vet Recommended".

Don't make him mad but tell him politely he's a liar. lolol. Oh and there is nothing high end about Cargill or Purina. They invented the least cost ration.