CATTLE DEATHS FROM IVOMEC

Help Support CattleToday:

FARMR

Reaction score
Has anyone seen unexpected cattle deaths after administering Ivomec or ivermection? I have had 3 occasions where my healthy calves were administered Ivomec. Beginning 4 days after administration the calves would suddenly die or would experience some paralysis and then die. I have done research and found that cattle should not be dewormed with Ivomec when the heelfly is in the bot stage and migrated to the spinal or tracheal areas. The Ivomec will kill the bot that will in turn kill the animal. This happens in Missouri mainly during the months of December thru February. Merial labs has been dishonest and uninformative to me by saying that their product cannot be the cause of this. I have lost 25% of my treated cattle (19 of 72) and another 25% affected on one occasion. If anyone has experienced this please contact me. I would especially like to hear from a veterinarian. Thank you
E-mail: [email protected]

It is a grubicide. No gribicides should be used later then maybe mid October till at least around March. That's my ROT for using them. The grubs dieing (as I understand it) arond the esophogous and the spinal cord are the problems. I have no idea how long it takes for them to get from on place to the other. In the spring if you see lumps on their backs and looking cose see a tiny hole in the lump, it is then safe to use a grubicide.

TexasBred":2rdldfgk said:
I've used gallons of pour-on and injectible for 20 years and never lost one yet.

I have never lost one either but they all get wormed on a regular basis. I can see if you had a bad infestation this being a problem. Sounds more like a managment issue.

If you Ivomec regularly, there isn't a problem. However, in the even I miss someone in the fall, I don't Ivomec till after April 15 for paralysis prevention. Theoretically, if you get everyone in october, you don't need to worry about it.

We have always wormed at freshening and at dry off for dairy cows PLUS any other time they went thru the chute for anything. Beef cattle...every spring and fall minimum. Probably wasted a lot of money but feel like it was always worth it.

Talked with a neighbor today that talked about finding the grub holes, pushing them out etc. He thinks that over the years in our area that we have gotten rid of the grubs with the use of Ivomec and Warbex. So thats kinda why we don't have to worry about it up here. Down south that might be different.

Amo":8itgpjex said:
Talked with a neighbor today that talked about finding the grub holes, pushing them out etc. He thinks that over the years in our area that we have gotten rid of the grubs with the use of Ivomec and Warbex. So thats kinda why we don't have to worry about it up here. Down south that might be different.
If you have heelflys aka gadflys you will have warbles.

Just a little more info. The year that 17 head died, a veterinarian administered the drug by injection. He also did this after I explicitly told him not to since I had bad results from Ivomec. Has anyone had this result after using Bovishield Gold 5? That is what he says he administered. I think that he was experimenting with my cattle.

FARMR":3ngzdzrm said:
Just a little more info. The year that 17 head died, a veterinarian administered the drug by injection. He also did this after I explicitly told him not to since I had bad results from Ivomec. Has anyone had this result after using Bovishield Gold 5? That is what he says he administered. I think that he was experimenting with my cattle.
I've never had the problem.

The next year I gave my calves Bovishield Gold 5 and did not lose a one--not even a cough. I have owned cattle for 40 years and never had a problem until I started using Ivomec.

Host parasite reactions are always possible. Did you have any of the cattle posted? Did all nineteen die within the same number of days? What were the symptoms and treatment for the sick ones?

Larry

Eight cattle were posted and nothing remarkable was determined. One calf may have shown some sign of pneumonia. Nine calves died suddenly 4 days after vaccination. The other 8 calves showed permanent neurological symptoms (poor gait, ataxia) and then died over the next month after stopping eating and general health deterioration.

I am looking for a retired large animal vet to use as an expert witness. I have talked to alot of vets in the area but since my issues are with the Univ of Mo vet clinic, no one wants to get involved. Please send me a name and contact info. I did not expect to find all of the ethics and criminal issues with a state institution and then have to fight a whole legal department to get compensation.

Have you ever watched "Bitter Harvest" with Ronnie Howard about the 1970's feed additive problem in dairy cattle? If not, watch it and learn what it is like to fight "city hall".