CATTLE DEATHS FROM IVOMEC

Help Support CattleToday:

I had the Vet here Friday (Northern Kentucky close to the Ohio river). He said that the warble fly or heel fly of the genus Hypoderma are almost non-existant in this area now due to the use of pour-on parasiticides. He said he has not seen a side effect of that nature due to the use of the pour-on parasiticides. He said use the pour-ons in fall and spring. If you want specific times, he recommends 4th of July and Thanksgiving. I have used Ivomec on calves and usually I over-estimate the weight; no problems.

Maybe you should not use Ivomec in the winter. I have used Ivomec plenty and had no problems whats so ever.
Sounds like someone looking for something for nothing, or a dogooder stirring up trouble.

I've not seen a cow with warbles since sometime back in the 1970s. Have spent time in veterinary practice, diagnostic pathology, and beef production in AL, TN, MO, and KY during those 30+ years - seeing mostly cattle, day-in/day-out, during all seasons of the year. I just don't see warbles any more. Have not really seen or heard of any significant issues related to inappropriate use of ivermectin or the pour-on grubicides since Ivomec came on the market, back in the early '80s.
I still teach my students about the concerns related to treating while the warble larvae are migrating around the esophagus or spinal cord - but also tell them that it's almost an issue of historical significance, at least in this part of the world.

I do not treat my cattle with ivermectin at all. My cattle are healthy and I rotate the pastures so worms are not a problem. I know what a heel fly is and I do see them. I also see my cattle "gadding" in the summer when the flys are out. I do not see the need to use a product when it is not necessary. The point is my cattle were fine and healthy until ivermectin was used and 4 days later they were dead or dying. It really irks me that the vet administered it when I told him explicitly not to, then he and the university walk away for me to take the total loss. I am fighting this on principal, and I have been told numerous times that I am fighting a losing battle.

I have talked to numerous vets and they do not make followup calls to see if there were any losses. The first few times that I lost calves I thought that it was just bad luck and did not correlate to the vaccination. I also dont think that many cattlemen work cattle dec,jan,feb is another reason that so few know of this problem.

medicinewoman":2niixuxm said:
I have never heard of Ivomec killing cattle but I have heard of it killing dogs when used in conjunction with Comfortis flea control.
http://www.bullnettlenews.com/forum/yaf ... users.aspx

If a dog is infested with heartworm, ivomec will likely kill the dog. It's possible the same thing happened with the cattle, even the calves. You have to be careful what you do when an animal is infested with parasites.

FARMR":1xw5g0b5 said:
I do not treat my cattle with ivermectin at all. My cattle are healthy and I rotate the pastures so worms are not a problem. I know what a heel fly is and I do see them. I also see my cattle "gadding" in the summer when the flys are out. I do not see the need to use a product when it is not necessary. The point is my cattle were fine and healthy until ivermectin was used and 4 days later they were dead or dying. It really irks me that the vet administered it when I told him explicitly not to, then he and the university walk away for me to take the total loss. I am fighting this on principal, and I have been told numerous times that I am fighting a losing battle.

That sounds like your whole problem, the cattle have not been on a routine for worming and vaccinating. Sounds like you are trying to blame someone else for you're lack of maintaining the health of the herd.

they are crossbred angus cattle. It seems that most farmers believe big pharmas propaganda. The drug companies are only trying to sell their product are are not there to help livestock or the farmer. In some cases the cure is worse than the disease.

FARMR":29pbv2qh said:
they are crossbred angus cattle. It seems that most farmers believe big pharmas propaganda. The drug companies are only trying to sell their product are are not there to help livestock or the farmer. In some cases the cure is worse than the disease.

I've seen more cattle die from heavy worm burdens (6 within the last two years, no, they weren't mine) than from worming (zero to date). Under normal circumstances, I disagree with your hypothesis that the cure is worse than the disease.

Never lost any calves or cows to de-worming and I always de-wormed my herd every spring before I turn them out in their summer pasture. How often you de-worming your own herd?

FARMR":72d0v253 said:
I am in total disagreement. Not on the problem you stated with the vet and University, but on the convention of using a parasiticide. I know something or two about parasites. They can be some of the most disgusting creatures nature has invented. I have seen cattle in poor condition treated with a parasiticide turn into beautiful well conditioned animals that live a much more content and healthy life. I would not want to be in this business if I had animals suffering from parasites and could not do anything about it. Thanks to drug companies, I can fullfill my responsibilities to the animals in my care. If you don't have any parasites be thankful, but they are here, all manner of round worms, flatworms, ticks, flukes, mites, lice, etc. Many have life cycles that devastate the animals lungs, livers, digestive system and other organs. They may have a place in nature but I hate them in my animals including my blue healer which I also use ivermectin on.

I have given ivomec to calves year round. Bought alot of rough cattle that had never even seen a human until they got to the sale barn and never lost a calf to the wormer. I'm guessing the vet gave the wormer to your cattle because it is a good management practice and he may have felt sorry for the cattle. Nothing more pitiful to me than a calf with a full worm load.

I decided to inform anyone who has not noticed that the package insert for Ivomec now has a black box warning about heel fly infestation and that it can cause death if administered at the wrong time. I believe that this post had a major impact in Merial labs disclosure of a major adverse effect.

Anytime you have an extremely heavy infestation and kill a parasite off, the dead parasites can out out certain chemicals, cause swelling, or leave holes where they were attached causing a chain reaction that could lead to death.

I understand the OPs anger. But as many have already stated, if you are worming them on a routine schedule the parasite load should never get to a level to harm the animal during "die off." Your cattle were most likely over loaded with larvae.........Did any show up post mortem?
(The migrating warbles are also not common here, according to my vet.)

There were 9 calves posted , 6 by the vet and 3 by the MU pathology dept but they did not look for parasites in those areas according to their reports even though I told them Ivomec was probable cause. An oversight???

Latest posts