Catching wild bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

Very nice pics WC.
Yes we "could" get close enough to hit hom with the 308 or 30-06. BUT:... The pasture is located between Highway 101 and another road, with quite a bit of traffic. These roads boarder the porperty. On one corner were the higway is it boarders a campground. On the 3rd side it has houses all along it. On the 4th side there is onn house, and a neighbors pasture. That and the bottom pasture is full of redwood trees, and that is were he usually hangs out. Right by the highway. So it will be tough. You would have to be on the highway side, facing the other road, or get him out by the neighbors pasture, to be able to get a shot at him without risking something going wrong. (that and my uncle freaking out ) Even though my dad is a heck of a shot, and has been hunting since he was a kid, and I have been hunting many times growing, and am decent. Just want to be carefull.

WC.... you don't by chance live in Northern Cali do you? lol.

Im not trying to make any excuses for anyones idea. I think my best choice is the cow thing, but I am not opposed to shooting him if we get the chance. I just dont know anyone that has the knowledge , or experience that could rope him and get him in the trailer.

I think it even experienced people would be hard pressed to rope a very big and very mean bull, the ones I have seen won't be caught, and a person would never be able to rope them, tie them by the back legs, and pull them into a trailer. There are some that would not allow that. Seems risky to me.

It happens everyday. I have spent day after day roping bulls just as you have describe while working clean-out contracts and as a matter of daily business. There are a bunch of very highly skilled men that work in this business, they can handle with ease what some might imagine to be impossible.

GMN":2qosm7jy said:
I think it even experienced people would be hard pressed to rope a very big and very mean bull, the ones I have seen won't be caught, and a person would never be able to rope them, tie them by the back legs, and pull them into a trailer. There are some that would not allow that. Seems risky to me.

GMN":2m6gknod said:
GMN I'm sure it requires a lot of learning but it can be done and made to look easy too. The two guys I know are that type. Any kind of bull too but most or simply running with the cattle and have no intention of going into a trailer. The guys are not big guys and don't use those big horses either. They simply get two ropes on the bull and the fight is over. And the bull ends up in the trailer. Now out in the far west they might be useless but in 20-200 acre pastures it looks so simple to watch them.

u people that think you need to shoot a bull because you can't get him penned are stupid, that bull is worth .90 cents a pound. just like wild cattle said it happens every day...

i like the pics wild cattle. show them farmers some more!!!! here in southeast Oklahoma we use head dogs catahoula or curs don't matter how wild they are them dogs will find them and hold them up' at least slow them down. Noticed you had some. That info was for the purebred guys.

GMN":2k7zwjs9 said:
I'd like to see that someday then.

I mean no disrespect. You are a great person. There's no such thing as one being to mean, big, or smart. I ain't my dad but he'd get anything in the trailer. He put me and my BIL on horses when we were teen agers to catch a charging bull. Said to get a rope on it. We did. He did. Drug it behind the horse with it's head down thru brush.

The owner had given it to dad. Told him to just get it off the place.

It was the worst bull I had ever seen. He would have hurt someone bad.

Why wouldn't you just tranquilize the bull and drag him in the trailer?

Also down here you can't shoot a cow and then take it to the butcher. They all have to be alive when they come on the place. Said if the inspector came in and saw a dead cow that wasn't down the way it was supposed to be then they would take his license. Idk that was a long time ago.

I've seen them tranquilized. I've seen them roped. I'd prefer roping if it were me. Now if you have a tiny operation and no trees or brush, flat terrain, it might be different. Chasing something for hours trying to get a shot in is a lot of trouble. Once you find it, cut it off from the brush and get a rope on it.

I don't even own any hay burners. Nothing is any good in the cedar thickets anyway. About all you can do there is crawl unless you can send in dogs.

Dad would ride and rope. It's not for me. He died in '93. I haven't owned a hay burner in years. I'd hurt for two weeks if I had to do some of the stuff we had to do for ranchers back in the day.

I said good bye to that and square bales years ago.

TexasBred":yfjqut58 said:
Wild Cattle":yfjqut58 said:
This situation is the most dangerous one I face in my business. Catching grown loner bulls on their home turf is a job that can be very dangerous. They can be faster than a horse and once disturbed they are just as likley to start hunting you. I have roped dozens and dozens of bulls like this as they were chasing my horse with their head in my horses tail. My sugestion is a trap baited with a "hot" cow.
Two cowboys on two horse and two ropes can usually catch him pretty easily and suck him up into a trailer in no time. Got a couple friends that wait on a call to do it anytime just to help folks out. No charge, just put a truck and trailer in the same field with the bull.

i would aree here. most poeple are surprised what two folks on horses that are good can get done. :nod: heck youd be surprised what one guy that is real good can get done with a second guy who can ride and only half rope. me and my dad put bulls of my uncle in a trailer when he called and swore that the bull would kill anything in sight cause it was fighting his 4wheeler and his pickup. and i sure wouldnt go into professional roping myself any time soon.

We had the same thing with a Pinzgauer steer about 2 years old. High-headed as can be, went through all the fences when trying to catch him, had the whole herd of cows with him, and one of our heifers was always around him and she turned just like him. We finally had the butcher come out and shoot him. And we ended up selling the heifer, and the people that bought her, cornered her where there's a cross ditch, and she jumped diagnolly across the ditch into another field.

I would just have the butcher come out, it would be a lot safer for everyone. And it would save you a lot of time trying to catch him.

wonder how this went?

I've seen a few wild ones caught (see my avatar? that SOB could clear a 6 foot fence easy) and I sure as heck would not attempt penning a wild bull in any kind of portable panels I have ever seen.

if you are going to try to trap him you need real steel, and a lot of it, sunk well into the ground. and you better have it at 7 feet or be ready to throw a couple ropes on him right away. don't let him get away or it will be a long time before you get another chance. tie him in the trailer too, if I were you - make sure the sale barn has a STOUT bull pen and warn them when you take him in.

best is to get a couple guys that have dogs and know what they are doing, or shoot him

Id be curious to know where this bull is. I know guys that would do this for you. No guns, (last resort) and alive in a trailer to market. Problem with CA is that if you are to "kill" him to butcher it has to be done by a licensed butcher. NO DOWNER COWS means even if its laying down due to a stuck calf it can't be killed and butchered.
Plus if your taking it to auction most drugs have a withdrawl time.
Just my two cent. Would be willing to help you get him caught if you'll give more info on where you are and I can talk some guys into doing it depending on where you are.
Double R

Latest posts