Cat Trouble

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
We are having trouble with one of our house cats.
She is crapping and peeing on the floor, clothes and elsewhere.

We have 4 cats and a dog.
She is about 6-7 years old, 98% blind, spayed and declawed. This just started last year.

Right now she is living in a large pet carrier with food water and a ltter box.

Any suggestions on what else we can do to break her of this bad habit she has gotten into?
Last straw was she peed on my husbands shirts. :oops:

if it just started last year i'd say its going to be pretty challenging to correct now. does she have to share litter boxes or have her own? since is blind she may be relying on her sense of smell to tell her where to go. so you may need to get some deoderizer/neutralizer. no help really.

did her starting doing that coincide with the addition of another animal? any change in the pride dynamic?

have you tested for health problems?? sometimes uninary track infection will change where they pee. any new animals are changes to her invirenment will make her do this too.

I luv herfrds":1ap5xr1z said:

She is about 6-7 years old, 98% blind, spayed and declawed. This just started last year.

Right now she is living in a large pet carrier with food water and a ltter box.

Any suggestions on what else we can do to break her of this bad habit she has gotten into?

She might be so old she's gotten incontenent. Or there is something new in the house she does not like and she's marking her territory. I had a house cat for several years and he was a good cat. When I got pregnant with my second son, the cat started marking everywhere, and he had been fixed since he was a kitten. I finally had to find another home for him after he got in the crib I had set up and peed on the layette. I paid a lot of money for that layette!!!!! Thankfully, that was before the baby was born.

I luv herfrds":zrhrr9f8 said:

How long have the other cats and dog been a part of your household? Did your husband suddenly start being gone when he was at home before?

Some cats don't like changes to their routines, their people being gone for periods that they weren't gone previously, or new additions as far as other cats (or dogs) are concerned. That is further complicated by the fact that this cat is almost totally blind, and has been declawed, and is therefore more dependant on you for her protection and security. I must say that, since this behaviour started last year, I'm a bit confused as to why you are posting about it now? At this stage of the game, it's going to be difficult to determine what the initating factor was.

Cats can't talk so, assuming her health is ok, they express their insecurity/displeasure in the only way they can. Eliminate the factor that caused her insecurity/displeasure and she will resume using her litter box but, as previously mentioned, that will be probably be a little difficult since this behaviour started last year.

I had a cat that crapped in my ex-husbands shoes, and on his travel bag - both were done very deliberatly(sp?), and in full view, I might add. After a little session of cat psychology, he made it a point to find her and spend a little time with her when he returned from trips/or when he was not home when she expected him to be, and the problem was solved. Perhaps you might want to look at the problem from the cat's point of view? Laugh if you want to, but a lot of cats can have a very definite point of view as to how things should be - and a way of making their displeasure known when things are not up to snuff - as far as their expectations are concerned!

Got a third litter box and so far no more crapping in the dining room or peeing on clothing.
Now maybe I can stop throwing away towels. Those were her favorites. :mad:
If it starts up again I guess she will just have to go down the road.