Double trouble!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Lordy, we done lost our minds! The plan was to get a puppy. One! Yeah, so, meet Matt Dillon (charcoal Lab) and Festus (black)! Both born in April but from different litters. I already look like I went full-on Rambo through a thicket from their FREAKISHLY sharp teeth. We're working on "No bites" and shoving a chew toy in the mouth any time they start feasting on me. Potty training? Getting there. It would be magical if they both had to go at the same time. Cat poop? Evidently a delicacy they like to dig up in the yard - and subsequently reward me with a kiss. Eweee! But oh, my heart!!!!🥰😍

One of the rare occasions when they're tuckered out. Me too, Satan!
1690395745606.jpeg
1690395787127.jpeg
1690395825884.jpeg

@bird dog, Labs are notorious for literally inhaling their food! How can they even taste it? Precisely why I bought each pup a slow feeder bowl. One of our Labs was diagnosed with Laryngeal Paralysis (Lar Par) when he was 11, made it to 13 before it was the right thing to do. Did vacuuming down his food have anything to do with it? My vet wasn't sure, but I'm erring on the safe side.

This was the first time since 1996 we haven't had one - or three - Labs. The other two lived until 15, so pretty darn long, good lives for large dogs.

I have had numerous labs over the years. All of them came from the humane society. Some of them have had a little pit bull in them and that is the reason no one else has adopted them. They are fabulous animals and yes they can eat. Since my dog(s) travels with me a lot, I thought I would try something smaller this go round and ended up with a Cur. She is a easy keeper but otherwise worthless. Kind of what my wife says about me. We get along great.

Dogs have become expensive to feed. I see folks that obviously can't afford one, have two and treat them better than their children. I also have a bunch of barn cats and their food has gone from $16 for 40 lbs to $25. I don't think I will ever be without a dog and probably not a cat. They bring a since of calmness to me. I like taking care of my cows and that is why I am in this business, but no animal on my place ever goes hungry. I should have been a zoo keeper.

Seems like when you have more than one pup they imprint on each other. One working German Shepherd in the house at a time is my policy.View attachment 32959
but Good Lord-- The needle teeth!
I was gonna say it... but decided to hold my tongue for once. Thanks for putting it out there. Hard to train two properly when they are distracted by each other.

And beautiful shepherd...

Labs are my favorite. Our lab is approaching 10. Here he is enjoying a trek across pristine snow covered fields…last winter of course.View attachment 33031
This was Cecil (white) and Obie. Obie was dumped on the ranch; found him at the watershed with a snake bite on his nose. Vet estimated 10 weeks old and a Lab/Greyhound mix. Prolific hunter! That dog would take out coyotes, raccoons, even beavers.
1690547169597.jpeg

This was Cecil (white) and Obie. Obie was dumped on the ranch; found him at the watershed with a snake bite on his nose. Vet estimated 10 weeks old and a Lab/Greyhound mix. Prolific hunter! That dog would take out coyotes, raccoons, even beavers.
View attachment 33040
Good ol Obie the beaver killer...
🤣

Our mutt will kill the heck out of a Frisbee or fetch ball
Screenshot_20230517-215627_Gallery.jpg

Latest posts