Double trouble!

Help Support CattleToday:

One working German Shepherd in the house at a time is my policy.
I get that, but these aren't "working dogs".

Yes they work but not in packs. Historically, in the region of Germany and Holland they were the single sheep and stock guard of a family. But not like LSG dogs (livestock guardian dog breeds). that stay with thr sheep all the time and are imprinted on sheep. German Shepherd ancestors went out all day and watched over the stock, not herding them, except when they saw the sheep were headed for the potato patch, but guarding from predators and thieves. When the sheep were in the fold at night they stayed in the house and guard the family. Inga does this without training, it is innate she watches over the whole place. At night she is 'the wolf by the door'.

They are intellgent and have and be trained beyond come sit stay or else they get into trouble. They must have leadership and to fit within the pack order of the human family. When they don't have this leadership and pack order GSDs feel that someone has to lead, so it's going to have to be the dog. They feel they must be dominant and they must guard. This is what happened with Joe Biden's German Shepherds. Notice how it's always Secret Service men that creep around with their paranoid vibrations. The Biden family should not have German Shepherds but a biting lap dog sitting on a pillow because they they do much less damage.

Last edited:
I get that, but these aren't "working dogs".

Yes they work but not in packs. Historically, in the region of Germany and Holland they were the single sheep and stock guard of a family. But not like LSG dogs (livestock guardian dog breeds). that stay with thr sheep all the time and are imprinted on sheep. German Shepherd ancestors went out all day and watched over the stock, not herding them, except when they saw the sheep were headed for the potato patch, but guarding from predators and thieves. When the sheep were in the fold at night they stayed in the house and guard the family. Inga does this without training, it is innate she watches over the whole place. At night she is 'the wolf by the door'.

They are intellgent and have and be trained beyond come sit stay or else they get into trouble. They must have leadership and to fit within the pack order of the human family. When they don't have this leadership and pack order GSDs feel that someone has to lead, so it's going to have to be the dog. They feel they must be dominant and they must guard. This is what happened with Joe Biden's German Shepherds. Notice how it's always Secret Service men that creep around with their paranoid vibrations. The Biden family should not have German Shepherds but a biting lap dog sitting on a pillow because they they do much less damage.
Mat Dillon & Festus are Labradors. Actually, I've only ever had Labs.

We have always had at least one lab…like TC at one time I raised two (but 2 yrs apart). I 💗 my labs! Love them! They are the family dogs…watch the kids, follow them all over the farm, pleasant sensitive kind dispositions. Lots of attention needed in those "tender years" but so loyal and eager to please.

Cute…one group of heifers really fell in love with our current black lab. To this day that group still loves him. Whenever we needed to bring that group home we tell our lab "all the way home" and he will literally lead the "heifers" to their correct pen…they follow him as he proudly walks ahead of them with his tail in the air and head high! Only need 2-3 from that heifer year in the group and they show the herd how it's done. Last year we took him to pasture cause I needed a group to come to the loading pen and kids thought no way mom…it worked.

We run an LGD (Kuvasz x Maremma) to help the perimeter. She "guards" chickens, cats, the cattle, the lab, the children, the tool shed, the equipment, fuel tanks, the sky, even the petunias. She is our working dog and she takes her job very seriously. She is "socialized" in that she can be doctored, knows commands (ie. leave it, fall back, nice, sit, I see it, come, mine), tolerates necessary strangers (ie vet, egg and beef customers) but she is not a companion to anything but her family and her "charges".

She just turned two. I keep thinking she is older than she is - she is so business like. She has completed two calving seasons now, maybe this is why? Uniquely, she has a strong bond to cattle and this has been an excellent compliment to our needs.

There is definitely a difference in canine uses…for years we only ever had our labs. Now with predator pressure in the mountains, more ci-diots and nonsense we need something with a little more business…thus the LGD. Though the lab intimidates coyotes and strangers he is getting too old for that and does not like to be outside in -40 nor does he have the patience to observe a calving or lie with the chickens, or pace a perimeter line when a threat is near.

Enjoy the labs…I will always have a lab too! 💗

My Kelpies don't mind being boxed either TC, it seems to be bred into them being working dogs. On big places with a lot of dogs they are boxed most of the time, they have to be or turn your back and they are gone to seek out some mischief with the cattle. Mine are allowed almost unlimited freedom but there are times when I need to have them kept out of the way and they are good, they will come to be put in their box. My B.C. on the other hand is a bit cagey if she thinks I am putting them away to do some work with the cows can be hard to get.

Ken

Where I live on a rural highway theives and tweakers drive by daily. One guy the cops have been looking for, a drug dealer with a rap sheet a yard long nearly killed a guy with a baseball bat with a nail in it. He lives in the small town at the end of the road.

Labs and Shelties are not scary to criminals and I'm no way having pitbulls. Mostly pit bulls kill other dogs as well as children and old people. The German Shepherd at the gate is often seen and well known. That is the job of the wolf at the door.

Happy National Dog Day! Which coincides with the day they discovered the pure joy of rolling in cow shyt. And subsequently their first bath, which was the equivalent of a WWF smack-down. And murdered one of my last remaining flower arrangements/yard decor. Get two puppies, they said. It'll be twice as much fun, they said!

Wet, and actually looking somewhat contrite before spending quality "time out" in prison.
1693068262579.png

@bird dog, Labs are notorious for literally inhaling their food! How can they even taste it? Precisely why I bought each pup a slow feeder bowl. One of our Labs was diagnosed with Laryngeal Paralysis (Lar Par) when he was 11, made it to 13 before it was the right thing to do. Did vacuuming down his food have anything to do with it? My vet wasn't sure, but I'm erring on the safe side.

This was the first time since 1996 we haven't had one - or three - Labs. The other two lived until 15, so pretty darn long, good lives for large dogs.
I've seen those "slow" feeder bowls. The pups will master them. In the end, the bowl will only shave about 0.5 seconds off the time to consume 2 cups of kibble. Someone needs to invent a feeder bowl that dispenses one nugget at a time.

@bird dog , invent a bowl like this! Here is your opportunity to make your million! :LOL:

I've seen those "slow" feeder bowls. The pups will master them. In the end, the bowl will only shave about 0.5 seconds off the time to consume 2 cups of kibble. Someone needs to invent a feeder bowl that dispenses one nugget at a time.

@bird dog , invent a bowl like this! Here is your opportunity to make your million! :LOL:
I like how you think! Because you're right, they just inhale a little slower. Is it just Labs that don't actually even chew, taste & enjoy a meal (or treat)? Because it's like 3 . . 2 . . 1 . . gone!

I like how you think! Because you're right, they just inhale a little slower. Is it just Labs that don't actually even chew, taste & enjoy a meal (or treat)? Because it's like 3 . . 2 . . 1 . . gone!
Two dogs eating together? They're competing to get enough, afraid that the other one will get more. Yet another reason to only get one at a time...

Yet another reason to only get one at a time...
That was the initial plan, but that ship has sailed. That said, even when we had older Labs that were spaced out in age, they still inhaled their food. Each had their own bowl, and the younger ones knew not to even try & steal from the older ones bowls.

It is a lab thing. They all inhaled food, competition or not. The ONLY thing our current lab "savours" is a marrow bone. An apple and/or a carrot take a couple seconds more than his food😂

Our LGD on the other hand savours her food or "saves it" The lab just cannot understand it but he respects her bowl. However he has been known to eat it all for her IF she gets busy with her cows and trusts him alone for a split second too long. It takes him no time…like a vacuum gone😂

She returns and is like "how did that happen"…I think she knows though. Not so food driven.

I swear a lab will eat everything and anything…the entire bag if allowed. Totally food driven! And all labs I have raised and known inhale food, it is in their genetic make up!😊🐕‍🦺🐾

One thing…we have always made the dogs sit for their food and until we say okay they don't move towards the bowl. LGD and the labs. LGD could really care less but she does it out of a hierarchy thing. Helps her to not be possessive with the kids, etc. Same with the labs but the labs do it out of loyalty and desire to eat with no delay. Sit, oh barely sit with the tail just a going, salivating oh alright full sit, quick quick, see, I am sitting, now please now. I make them fully sit but oh it's so hard to be patient. 😂

One thing…we have always made the dogs sit for their food and until we say okay they don't move towards the bowl. LGD and the labs. LGD could really care less but she does it out of a hierarchy thing. Helps her to not be possessive with the kids, etc. Same with the labs but the labs do it out of loyalty and desire to eat with no delay. Sit, oh barely sit with the tail just a going, salivating oh alright full sit, quick quick, see, I am sitting, now please now. I make them fully sit but oh it's so hard to be patient. 😂
They haven't mastered the art of sitting for more than .05 seconds if there's even the remote possibility of food! I'm hoping this stage doesn't last more than, what, 5 years?

😂Labs are playful and agreed long to mature and take consistent training. Our 10 year old still has pup in him at times. In the eyes, the tail and the excitement. He still wants to be a part of things and if like my other labs he will until his last day. The art of training a lab is unique, and challenging at times but oh how they love🥰

Haha…I think it will be much easier in 4 years but 5 years is a great goal😂😂 When "trouble" came up I would say "three years to lay the foundation, year four to practice, it'll be good in four years, this puppy💩will pass by four years, seeing top of the hill at three, almost there"…it seemed to keep me rational. 🤷‍♀️😂 After that they are as loyal, honest, perfect, loving and humble as they come…I love my labs🥰

Best advice I was ever given… "start how you want to finish" Applies to more than just labs but was given to me with my first lab puppy by a wonderful veterinarian. Helps to repeat that when you are laying down the law to the cutest puppy eyes trying to melt your frustration away😂
They haven't mastered the art of sitting for more than .05 seconds if there's even the remote possibility of food! I'm hoping this stage doesn't last more than, what, 5 years

The ONLY thing our current lab "savours" is a marrow bone.
How about clams? Seriously!! They go down to the lake, bring a couple back, and gnaw until I realize they've done it AGAIN and take them away. That can't be good for them unless the shells act as a colon cleanse, like diatomaceous earth.:rolleyes:🤦‍♀️
1693503707776.png
1693503755570.png

Have not had experience with clams😂 but I can imagine!! Oh my they are sweet! My lab puppy feelings are making me want a puppy! 🐾

Do the clam shells splinter? I suppose if they are "rotted" enough? They must be sharp too? Silly pups!

You reminded me of the chewing…labs are pretty aggressive that way. Our LGD pups never really wrecked anything. Not even shoes…but the labs oh my the things they can wreck and find with their habitual chewing and mouthing…nothing is safe or sacred😂

Enjoy…breathe…it does pass…in lol about…well that will seem too far away…so we will just say it eventually passes😂😂😂
How about clams? Seriously!! They go down to the lake, bring a couple back, and gnaw until I realize they've done it AGAIN and take them away. That can't be good for them unless the shells act as a colon cleanse, like diatomaceous earth.:rolleyes:🤦‍♀️

Latest posts