Domestic Cat x Bobcat

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
There are reports of bobcats breeding with domestic female cats, but evidence of offspring is only anecdotal.

Of the 13 sub species of bobcats only the Lynx rufus superiorensis lives in Minnesota. I have never seen one.
3 dna confirmed blynx (bobcat x canadian lynx) have been found in the wild in Minnesota, all 3 were fertile.
One was tagged to be studied, but died of starvation shortly after tagging.

2 years ago a large (12-13 lb) dapple gray tabby male with 4 white paws showed up on my place.
His rear legs were very muscular and slightly longer than his front legs and he had unusually large pointed ears.
Even though his tail was cat length, I nicknamed him Bob because he reminded me of what I think a bobcat looks like.
He was wicked wild, mean and athletic, but very beautiful. I remember wishing I had a female cat to mate with him.
I just thought of him as a feral cat, in mid summer I found him dead along a nearby highway.

That fall a neighbor claimed when he was picking rock the previous spring on his field next to my pasture he saw
some sort of a huge wild cat (about 20 lbs) that appeared to be stalking him in the grass along my pasture fence line.
He said it made him nervous enough that he got back in his tractor. He asked me if I ever saw it. (nope, I never did)
But it made me start to wonder if that could have been "Bob's" father.

Last week a 10 lb dapple gray tabby male, with 4 white boots and long large pointed ears, jumped up on my deck.
He was not nearly as muscular as "Bob" but I feel certain he must be a son of Bob or they share a bloodline.
I wish I would have examined Bob when I found him dead, but at the time I just assumed him to be an odd feral cat.
Bob was very wild, but never scared, he had a very confident air about him. I've only seen "Son of Bob" twice.

Has anyone else ever seen any possible hybrids from domestic cats crossed with perhaps a distant hybrid bobcat?
Any other animals of domestic x wild hybrids?

A couple of years ago someone dropped off 3 kittens at the vets. They were determined to by cat bobcat hydrids. Rather then turn them loose they were put down by the state vet since they were so dam wild and vicious. But the were pretty darn things.

Haven't personally seen any bobcats, but they are around. On a couple of occasions at night last winter, heard the dog barking, looked out and saw a really big looking cat at the cat food pan. At first thought it could be possibly a bobcat, but then decided it was just a big domestic cat. Someone in the area has some Maine Coon cats, and they seem to have influenced some of the stray cat population. Not cat related but have seen a dog coyote hybrid, that was born into a litter of Border Collie pups. It must happen in the reverse form from male dogs and female coyotes too, several folks claim to have had worse issues with what they call coydogs than with coyotes.

I've heard on numerous occasions that if raised from kittens, Bobcats can be at least moderately docile.. I heard of a couple truckers that had a bobcat in their truck with them for company (beats picking up cougars?)
I'd take a cat/bobcat cross any day around here for rat control

dun":3mi79j5x said:
they were put down by the state vet since they were so dam wild and vicious. But the were pretty darn things.

Vet cost could have been avoided by a bullet behind the ear...just saying..

Here's the bobcat that hung around a while a few years back.. as Butch said, he was shy but confident, I was within 8 feet of him, he was OK with that, but I wasn't going to push my luck, and certainly cornering him could be a very bad idea

Very nice to look at depending on the angle, the side shots their long back legs start to look a little disproportionate

I hate to disagree but bobcats and lynx do live in Minnesota. I have seen both and back in my younger day we would tree bobcats while coon hunting at night. We live almost in the exact middle of Minnesota. The following is a quote from the DNR website. BTW Where we live it is about 90% farmland but behind us is a small river and along that the land is wilder than it was 125 years ago when everything was pastured.

"The bobcat is the most common of Minnesota's three native wildcat species (the others are the cougar and Canada lynx). About 2,000 bobcats live in northern Minnesota. Few humans ever see a bobcat in the wild."

farmguy":3gxkmrqo said:
I hate to disagree but bobcats and lynx do live in Minnesota.

"The bobcat is the most common of Minnesota's three native wildcat species (the others are the cougar and Canada lynx). About 2,000 bobcats live in northern Minnesota. Few humans ever see a bobcat in the wild."
No disagreement. Perhaps I worded it poorly. (too late to edit the wording)

Bobcats in North America are grouped into 13 sub species.
The bobcat sub species native to Minnesota has the scientific name of Lynx Rufus Superiorensis.

Bobcat x Canadian Lynx offspring are wild hybrids called Blynx (Blinks) 3 such offspring have been found in the wild
in Minnesota and their existence has been confirmed with DNA testing by the Mn. Dept. of Natural Resources.

Obviously for them to mate in the wild, both Bobcats and Canadian Lynx must live in Minnesota, so no disagreement.

Savannah cats aren't that hard to raise, and sell for thousands of dollars. I often wonder why more people aren't raising them.

Bigfoot":28qkslgh said:
Savannah cats aren't that hard to raise, and sell for thousands of dollars. I often wonder why more people aren't raising them.
Some states have laws or restrictions regarding raising hybrid.
For Texas:
Health and Safety Code 822.101. Definitions
In this subchapter:

(4) " Dangerous wild animal" means:
(A) a lion;
(B) a tiger;
(C) an ocelot;
(D) a cougar;
(E) a leopard;
(F) a cheetah;
(G) a jaguar;
(H) a bobcat;
(I) a lynx;
(J) a Serval;
(K) a caracal;
(L) a hyena;
(M) a bear;
(N) a coyote;
(O) a jackal;
(P) a baboon;
(Q) a chimpanzee;
(R) an orangutan;
(S) a gorilla; or
(T) any hybrid of an animal listed in this subdivision.

"Animal registration agency" is defined as "the municipal or county animal control office with authority over the area where a dangerous wild animal is kept or a county sheriff in an area that does not have an animal control office.
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/txstatutes/ ... /E/822.101

Health and Safety Code Section 822.103
CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION; FEES.
(a) A person may not own, harbor, or have custody or control of a
dangerous wild animal for any purpose unless the person holds a
certificate of registration for that animal issued by an animal
registration agency.
You also have to keep $100,000 liability policy in effect, and it looks like there are about 20 Texas counties that ban hybrids altogether.
http://www.hybridlaw.com/texas/
http://www.hybridlaw.com/#

Latest posts