Cat bite

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Never underestimate the severity of a cat bite.
My younger brother tried to help a cat that had been wounded and got bitten on his hand for his trouble. This happened on Friday last week, on Saterday he was admitted to hospital were he was put on all sorts of medication, including antibiotics. His hand is swollen to double the normal size, even with the treatment that he is on the swelling has not gone down and he now needs to go under the knife this afternoon.
Stats indicate that between 40% - 50% of cat bites become infected and the advice given is to seek medical help immediately rather than take a chance.

Hubby got cat scratch fever- it was amazing the trouble he had with a tiny scratch.

That is awful Alison, I hope your brother will be alright.
Wishing him a safe surgery and speedy recovery .

Cats mouths are absolutely filthy, they are infested with bacteria .

Howdyjabo":39axk3em said:
Hubby got cat scratch fever- it was amazing the trouble he had with a tiny scratch.
I have heard that it can be quite serious, I think it effects a person's lymph nodes.

hillsdown":39axk3em said:
Wishing him a safe surgery and speedy recovery .
Thanks HD, he is still in hospital and swelling is coming down nicely. He's starting to give 'big sis' grief so he must be on the mend :D.

I assumed your brother had the same thing, and yes it goes systematic - hope your brother gets better fast.

When he went under the knife was it to take pressure off the skin so it didn't rip?
I had a bad bee sting on my hand and it swelled so bad that they threatened to slice my skin in several places(like eight) to keep it from ripping. I was SOOOOO happy when the swelling backed off before they did it.

Howdyjabo - No, it's not the same thing. The cat scratch disease is caused by the bacteria Bartonella (something, would have to look it up). The symptoms only start appearing after a couple of weeks of the cat bite/scratch usually by way of the lymph nodes.
In my brother's case (the cat that bit him had an infected wound to make matters worse) it was more like a localised infection in the hand with many many different bacteria pesent. The wound then started festering and had to be cut open and cleaned before the infection started spreading. They say that the hand does not have much blood circulation and that's why one picks up so many complications after a cat bite. I suppose this is why your bee sting swelled so much?
Howdyjabo":22h2n1ln said:
I had a bad bee sting on my hand and it swelled so bad that they threatened to slice my skin in several places(like eight) to keep it from ripping. I was SOOOOO happy when the swelling backed off before they did it.
Yikes!!! I bet you were happy :shock: . Thanks for the well wishes.

TexasBred":1n2fijkq said:
curtis":1n2fijkq said:
What happened to the cat?
MIA... last seen chasing an old sow raccon having thoughts of "love at first sight". :lol2: :lol2:

It was caught and tested for rabies !
Which means it had it's head cut off as that is how they test animals .. So I am guessing it is very much dead.

My dog Sam is my buddy, he goes every where with me. The only thing that would make him better is if I could get him to kill every cat he sees.

Isomade":16p5jpr5 said:
My dog Sam is my buddy, he goes every where with me. The only thing that would make him better is if I could get him to kill every cat he sees.

Careful what you wish for, you do remember a little thing called the bubonic plague :help:

2 weeks ago a guy from my church seperated his two cats and was bit. Got antibiotics that day or the next but still ended up in the hospital for 3 days and had surgery to clean out the infection. Hand swelled up like a balloon. It happens all the time, I'm sure that 50% number is accurate.

Latest posts