CAN'T GET HEIFER BRED

Help Support CattleToday:

idylglade1

Reaction score
MY SON BOUGHT A REGISTERED ANGUS HEIFER LAST APRIL, SHE WILL BE 2 YRS OLD IN APRIL OF THIS YEAR. WE TRIED TO AI HER 3X'S THIS YEAR WITH NO LUCK. THE 4TH TIME WE GAVE HER AN ANITBIOTIC THEN A CIDR PULLED THE CIDR, SHOT HER WITH LUTALYSE AND SHE DIDN'T COME INTO HEAT, UNTIL 6 DAYS LATER WHEN WE WERE AT A SHOW, AND COULD NOT GET ANY SEMEN TO BREED HER, (OUR AI TECH WAS ON MATERNITY LEAVE). ANY SUGGESTIONS, WE HAVE NOW PUT HER OFF UNTIL MAY TO SEE WHAT WE CAN COME UP WITH. :?: I'M THINKING WE NEED TO TRY A BULL.ANY SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS!

find a bull; he knows when, how and wont have to find semen when it's time.

and please try not to use ALL CAPS; IT"S HARD TO READ.

The vet thought she had a infection in her cervix so we gave her a shot of antibiotics then went on to cidr her etc. When she did finally come into heat, it was a really nice heat cycle.

cowboyup216":1uq577yi said:
If so you may have a free martin heifer on your hands that will never breed.

"never" isnt exactly right; i have been told 90%+ of the time.

Vet checked her out all parts are there. Had a mushy cervix that is why we tried the antibiotic. I think we are going to try a bull. We need to find one first. Not to many in these parts. My son is networking with some people to see what he can come up with for a bull. He would like to stay registered, but I told him if you can't find an Angus see what is around to make a good cross breed.

Have youcalled the previous owner? If it were us, we would gaurentee (sp) the heifer. Also, some just won't stick with AI, use a bull.

Use a bull and if he can't get her pregnant the first time take the loss on her or if you can return her. A cow may have a hard time sticking on AI but if she doesn't catch easily with a bull then she shouldn't be being bred anyway.

she'd be hamburger meat if she was mine, your probably just spinning your wheels.....I believe id take her back where you bought her, I'd give them some free advertising & not the kind they want :( ...........if i didn't get my money back.......good luck........ :)

Thanks to eveyone for your replies and advice. Cody found a bull that we can use.
So we are going to give that a shot. Then keep our fingers crossed. If not then it's back too the breeder where we bought her. Thanks agin to everyone! :D

Caustic Burno":1dagtktb said:
Typical show heifer to fat to breed.
Here is your answer!!!!! Putting her with a bull my not do it if she is to fat! May have to wait until you are done showing her, take weight off her and try breeding her then.

This heifer we kept pretty trim. The other was way to fat. I just can't see getting them all that plumped up just to show. It is a known fact that they are hard to bred when that big. In fact we had alot of people tell us we needed to put alot more weight on her. It just goes against the way i was raised in showing and raising cattle.

Latest posts