Can't catch a break

Help Support CattleToday:

We're chalking up the 2022 compound fracture to just getting bifocals and he said he felt like he was walking on a ship at sea.
I just went back to reread this thread and saw the part about bifocals, they very well could have caused the fall. I finally got glasses about a year and a half ago and got progressive lenses. Most people say they make them dizzy at first and they have trouble walking if they look down. I haven't had any real issues with them until a few days ago. I climbed up the feed bin ladder which is 32' tall to check and see how much feed was left. The ladder is pretty cheezy, made out of 1" angle iron, and breaks over at an angle at the top to look down the middle of the bin. I made it up fine but when I went to come back down I looked down at my feet and got a touch dizzy because of the glasses. I took a second to regroup and made it down fine. Won't be wearing glasses next time I climb up there.

I just went back to reread this thread and saw the part about bifocals, they very well could have caused the fall. I finally got glasses about a year and a half ago and got progressive lenses. Most people say they make them dizzy at first and they have trouble walking if they look down. I haven't had any real issues with them until a few days ago. I climbed up the feed bin ladder which is 32' tall to check and see how much feed was left. The ladder is pretty cheezy, made out of 1" angle iron, and breaks over at an angle at the top to look down the middle of the bin. I made it up fine but when I went to come back down I looked down at my feet and got a touch dizzy because of the glasses. I took a second to regroup and made it down fine. Won't be wearing glasses next time I climb up there.
Yeah, when I first got glasses, it was bi-vocals. Put them on, went outside to get in my truck, and I looked like a racking horse walking across the parking lot. About fell stepping off the sidewalk. I can't use them at all. Went back a week later and got them to make me two glasses, one with the distance prescription and one with the close up prescription. Since my cataract surgerie, though, I no longer need the distance glasses.

Last edited:
Yeah, when I first got glasses, it was bi-vocals. Put them on, went outside to get in my truck, and I looked like a racking horse walking across the parking lot.
When they handed me the new glasses for the first time I put them on and kinda felt drunk. I told the lady I wasn't sure I could wear them so she took them to the back to make an adjustment. After several times back and forth they got better. She said they were sitting wrong so I was looking through the progressive part of the lense. I think she just bent them somehow to sit lower. I still get an odd feeling everynow and then walking down a tall narrow isle at the store.

I take my glasses off going up or down stairs or walking on uneven ground. For what ever reason things seem to shift and move
depending on what portion of the lens you are looking through and that can change with position of my head. It didn't take me long to
come to the conclusion that glasses may contribute to falls, especially in seniors.

I take my glasses off going up or down stairs or walking on uneven ground. For what ever reason things seem to shift and move
depending on what portion of the lens you are looking through and that can change with position of my head. It didn't take me long to
come to the conclusion that glasses may contribute to falls, especially in seniors.
Tried bifocals , didn't really need much on top , a little help on distances but the bifocal reading part liked to have broke my neck ! Had them on driving the tractor. Almost missed the step and took a tumble when I tried to step to the ground. Never wore them again except for reading.

Tried bifocals , didn't really need much on top , a little help on distances but the bifocal reading part liked to have broke my neck ! Had them on driving the tractor. Almost missed the step and took a tumble when I tried to step to the ground. Never wore them again except for reading.
Before my cataract surgery, My prescription for the top part was the same as 1.25 readers, and the bottom part 3.0 readers. So I just started buying them, and kept a pair of both in each vehicle, on my motorcycle, in the boat, at my office, and here at my desk at home. The 1.25s were full lens sunglass readers... aviators. Since the surgeries, though, I don't need the top part anymore, and I use 2.25 readers now. Used to get prescription glasses for both strengths, and was constantly losing them or breaking them. I never lose these readers I get at Dollar Sore or Walmart...$10 for a pack of 3!!!!

This! I have 2 friends that fell down the stairs shortly after bifocals. One was just bruised and the other required surgery. I got bifocals years ago and they're gathering residual dust, sitting in the back cup holder of my truck.

I'm a little late to this thread. Mr. TC is lucky to have you. Take care of him and especially take care of yourself. Prayers from east Texas. Remember: Anywhere is walking distance if you take the time. Hang tough

Latest posts