Canning Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Onthebit

Reaction score
Wanted to know if anyone had canning ideas..lol...as some of my produce will need to be canned due to lack of freezer space! Meat is what im looking for ideas about...and now game meat. thanks btw

My Mom used to can beef and venison all the time prior to them getting a freezer. Once she got her freezer she didn't can as much. Canned beef, good stuff. :nod:

We had a freezer as long as I can remember , but I remember my mom canning sausage when freezer space was tight , as far as i know it came out good , but I'm not sure how she did it .

shorty":3rvwl9ky said:
We had a freezer as long as I can remember , but I remember my mom canning sausage when freezer space was tight , as far as i know it came out good , but I'm not sure how she did it .

I guess I remember further back than you ;-) Some days it feels further than others! Mom used to rent a "locker" at the butcher where she stored the animals that we butchered and we would go once a week to pick up meat. She did alot of canning. The chicken and beef made GREAT noodles and gravy dishes. She saved up her egg money and bought a freezer, that thing was huge. She didn't can as much meat after she got the freezer.

I have saw my folks can all kinds of meat. The canned sausage is what i remember the most, would cook the sausage just enough to brown lightly on both sides and drop them in the jar pour about 1 inch of grease in the jar and turn the jar upside down and let cool. When it cools you can turn the jar right side up and the grease will seal the jar.

My mother was what would be a subsistance cook. If you oculd choke it down you could subsist on it. She used to can meat, mostly goat, chicken and rabbit. Once they got a freezer she quit canning meats and just mostly caned fruits, vegies went in the freezer. 25 years after I had left home they sold the old home place and the cellar was packed with the canned meat, most of the canned fruit had been eaten.

I have canned beef and it is delicious. We put it in a jar and added a tablespoon of salt and put in a caner for around three hours. The last I did I used a pressure caner and it didn't take as long. It is great, just open a jar and heat it up and it is ready to eat. We also canned pork and it was real good also especially the loin. It will keep a lot longer in the jar than in the freezer. Umm makes me hungry just thinking about it.
Fred

In this day and age canning meat in an unacceptable practice due to botchulism (sp). Meat must be pressure canned to reach the temperatures necessary to kill the bacteria.
I don't know how the old timers got away with canning meat, maybe the gut was stronger, maybe people were more able to fight off sickness better, maybe some died and they did not know why, and maybe there was something done in canning meat that got lost in passing it down.
Any how best way to store meat is in the freezer and if that is not possible go out and get a pressure canner..near as much in cost to a freezer!

I got a pressure canner for $20. Not a big one. Would like to have one of those 5 gallon jobs but they are pricey. If I'm not mistaken, I think I read where Caustic canned deer meat. Maybe he can give some tips. I'd like to know myself cause you never know what the future might have for us.

My family canned meat before my home town put in a locker plant. They used jars, mason lids (two piece), large pots w/lids (they called canners). A 6-700 lb calf was usually a two day process. When the jars were cool and lids checked for proper tightness the finished product was transported to a storm cellar where all our parishable products were kept (eggs in 30 dz cases, potatoes and other canned fruits and vegies). What combination of liquid and seasoning was used in the jars with the meat I have no idea, however, never had a bad serving that I know of and Sunday dinner with extended family required 3-4 qt jars of meat beit beef or pork. I don't think we ever canned chicken or sheep.
You can probably go to google and get info on metal canning and methods of the modern era.

My hubby's cousin brought us some canned moose from Newfie. It was devine! threw it in a stirfry and couldn't believe it was moose! So I am canning the red steer cause he was tough! The last batch I am making today is for spagettiis....should be some hot!

Each year I break out the pressure canner, and put up about 20-30 jars of canned meat. Venison, beef, turkey, pork, and even pronghorn. Been doing it since Y2K.

It is really simple, just time consuming. I do it around the end of the year, when the whether is nasty and I am bored. Basically, one cuts the meat into 1-2 inch cubes, make sure they are thawed completely through. You boil water and sterilize the jars by filling them with the boiling water, (and boil the lids too). Then, pour out that water, and into the hot jars, put another inch of boiling water, then add meat until you are about 2" from the top of the jar. Then, another inch of water over the meat, and handtighten the lid.

Jar goes into the canner for about 90 minutes, (I can to seven quarts at once).

When you buy your Presto canner, (about 50 bucks at the department store) you will have complete directions. Follow them to the letter. Also, contact your county extension agent, they will give you some free information about canning meat.

The meat lasts a long time, and is great to eat. Makes the toughest game tender, and your home grown beef even more tender. Give it a try, it is fun and satisfying.

Latest posts