Can it be true? A 10 month old bull breeding?

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
Hi. :tiphat:

I'm really just putting this out there for the more experienced. We are a small farm - likely considered a hobby farm.

We bought heifers and 2 -10 month old bulls in August from a neighbor getting out of cattle. I asked if there was the possibility of anyone being bred. He assured me that no one could have been bred. That he sold his breeding bull when the calves (the 10 month old bulls) hit the ground. We separated 2 out for butchering and as I'm monitoring these two girls, one is showing all signs of calving in the very near future. Walked out to the barn yesterday to a new addition! :eek: While I'm totally ok with that (who doesn't love calves) I find it hard to believe that these 2 bulls were breeding at 10 months old. :???: They would need a stool to stand on or a good slope! :lol2: Even now, the intact bull is small, he looks like a miniature standing next to my heifers.

Thoughts? Could this really be the case? I walked out in the pasture today among the girls and by visible inspection, 2 more are going to drop calves.

He's apparently a sweet talker... must be the curls he's got.

Thanks! I was just looking for a little reassurance that it was possible.

At ten months, no problem at all.
But you say they were ten months old in August and the heifers are calving now? Still possible, every year the vet newsletter reminds us to separate the bulls and heifers by six months. Just seems a little less likely.

I give those dates and ages with caution... they lived else where and I don't know their exact calving dates, just what the previous owner remembers. But they were definitely not a year old before they came to live here in August.

We do a BSE on potential bull candidates at aroudn 10 months and have never had one fail.

after the bull has been through puberity {if i spelled that right} he begins to produce live sperm. and from then on it is up to the bull. and a lot of bulls go through it at 6 or 7 months old. so there you go.

I've got a jersey dairy right now that has been having a problem with heifers getting pregnant at five months old as in that herd the very few bulls that they keep are run with the girls until the get old enough to separate... Aparently they need to be separated a little sooner. :nod:

We purchased a 10 month old yearling bull calf last Feb from neighbor. Put him in with our 3rd period momma cows. We did lease a mature bull May 15 for March calves, and was just going to raise th 10 month old to use for 2012. As of today all but one of our cows have calved. That little dude was very busy.

Latest posts