Can I buy cows if I have a full time job?

Help Support CattleToday:

c.j.

Reaction score
I am looking at getting some cows in the future. I have a full time job that I do 5 days a week but most likley will be working from home so I will be able to check on them during the day, is this possible? thinking about getting around 10 to start with and then breed them each year

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. I have a full time 5 - 6 day a week job and I don't work from home. I think that is the case with the better part of the folks here as well.

What makes you think you wouldn't be able to?

Yes, it's possible but remember that cows don't read your schedule. They don't care if a calf is hung up at 10:00AM or they want to pay your neighbor's garden a visit while you are at work.
What you need is a retired daddy. My son and I have a few cattle. He works in the OR at the local hospital so he can't say "be back in an hour".

c.j.":19js9w6t said:
I am looking at getting some cows in the future. I have a full time job that I do 5 days a week but most likley will be working from home so I will be able to check on them during the day, is this possible? thinking about getting around 10 to start with and then breed them each year

Sure you can. But you do need to make sure you have a good setup. Good fences, reliable waterer, some sort of handling facility and enough pasture for them. Cattle should work for us, not the other way around.

I would start with 3 or 4 not 10 though. Get a system down, figure out what you are going to do for a bull. Make very sure your first cattle are a docile breed and individuals have a good disposition. Buy them from a local source you can trust. Good luck

Jim

Just about everyone has full time jobs. Maybe once year I have to take off to go do something with a cow. I could let someone else do things at times but don't.

Watch them close, if you notice any thing wrong get on it quick and get things fixed. This should keep you for having too much emergent maintenance.

lynnmcmahan":26f3qinu said:
Yes, it's possible but remember that cows don't read your schedule. They don't care if a calf is hung up at 10:00AM or they want to pay your neighbor's garden a visit while you are at work.
What you need is a retired daddy. My son and I have a few cattle. He works in the OR at the local hospital so he can't say "be back in an hour".
I'm the retired one and I get the jobs a Mexican won't do.
You're just what I've been looking for. I pay 3 hots and a cot! Bet that's better than you are getting now. So when do you want to start? :lol:

I think some folks make cows hard. All you have to do is keep them fed, bred and watered. Buy tame cows from a neighbor, even if you pay way to much it will still be worth it in the long run. When you get off work feed them 2-3 times a week and they will come a running when you pull up. The hardest thing to do is to make money with your cows. Thats where it gets hard.

Isomade":15im1a93 said:
lynnmcmahan":15im1a93 said:
I'm the retired one and I get the jobs a Mexican won't do.
You're just what I've been looking for. I pay 3 hots and a cot! Bet that's better than you are getting now. So when do you want to start? :lol:

You bet you lose :)

ga.prime":9vpxtom9 said:
hypo-chrisy":9vpxtom9 said:
Most of us have other jobs. Im a plumber
I'm a landscape reclamation architect.
I'm a brain surgeon. The only reason I came to this site was because I know most people who raise cattle are not right in the head.

ohiosteve":2t552qef said:
ga.prime":2t552qef said:
hypo-chrisy":2t552qef said:
Most of us have other jobs. Im a plumber
I'm a landscape reclamation architect.
I'm a brain surgeon. The only reason I came to this site was because I know most people who raise cattle are not right in the head.

Ain't that the truth! :banana:

you can make it work if your willing to check cows before you go to work an when you get home.but as said its best if you have some1 that can help you when you cant be there.an check close up cows while your gone.

Some great opinions have been shared already, but I'll second a few points that were already made:
1) For some, keeping cattle without a full-time job wouldn't be possible!
2) If you're truly committed to their health and welfare, you'll find enough time to care for them properly.
3) Calm stock, great fences, and adequate feed and water go a long way in making everything easier and safer.

That said, shyt still happens. I have an understanding with my boss that I may miss one or two days or half-days a year because of cattle issues. I play that card sparingly and bring beef to her when I use it.

Sooner or later, you are gonna miss some work because of cattle. But most jobs can tolerate a day here or there especially if you don't get sick a lot or take time off for other things too often. I average a couple days per year off work due to having both cows and a job. Often it can be scheduled in advance, like when we have a vet call.

Like has been said, good fences and facilities and good stock that isn't prone to illness, calving problems, etc. will go a long way.

Owning cattle doesn't HAVE to mean checking on them all the time and babying them along every time they have a problem.
Most of my cows get seen around once a month. I have a group that I haven't seen in months and the last time I saw them it was through a spotting scope. I do also have cows that I see on a regular basis(because I really like them and it makes me happy to see them alot :D) but when I really pencil out what my time is worth, I can't make constant checking on my cows constantly look like a good idea even if I can occasionaly save an extra calf.
I have a full time job, I also farm, and I have cows. For the big stuff like branding and shipping, you can schedule a day in advance and just about everything else you can let work itself out. That just leaves you with a handfull of real cattle emergencies like blown out fence with cattle on a busy road to deal with.

I don't see my cows every day . I calve heifers at my house so I can watch them . Other than that my cows can handle calving on on their own . I don't use bulls that throw 100 lb calves either . Older cows with low birthweight bull would be your best bet . It's not hard or complicated to own cows .

Latest posts