Can cows cycle after being bred?

Help Support CattleToday:

AyerFarm

Reaction score
I moved a cow to another pasture and within 10 minutes of her being in pasture the bull mounted her multiple times, before this I seen the bull in the other pasture mount her once then again a few weeks later and havent seen him on her since so I assumed she was bred and that was about 5 months ago and now I put her in a new pasture and the bull and other cows is riding her so is it possible for cows to heat cycle after being bred

Most anything is possible. But unless she was actually locking up and standing to be ridden I would put it down to a dominance, i.e. pecking order deal

She was standing and taking the bull and standing when the cows would ride her

AyerFarm":1t4z2ex6 said:
She was standing and taking the bull and standing when the cows would ride her
In that case she needs to be preg checked. But as I said, anything is possible.

As said anything can happen, but my vote is she was in heat. She either didn't settle five months ago or slipped the calf. To answer your question no a bred cow will not come into heat after they are bred, they will start to cycle again after they calve. But there is a pecking order factor and as much as the Bulls were mounting her sure sounds like she was in heat.

Alright thanks guys I haven't had this happend yet so I was needing some answers

AyerFarm":3lcknnt6 said:
Alright thanks guys I haven't had this happend yet so I was needing some answers
That's what most of the members feel is the reason/purpose for these boards.

AyerFarm":3oiawqxf said:
I moved a cow to another pasture and within 10 minutes of her being in pasture the bull mounted her multiple times, before this I seen the bull in the other pasture mount her once then again a few weeks later and havent seen him on her since so I assumed she was bred and that was about 5 months ago and now I put her in a new pasture and the bull and other cows is riding her so is it possible for cows to heat cycle after being bred

Absolutely possible. Have had several cows over the years that will ride every 3 weeks like clockwork after they have been bred for months. Very hormonal genetics. Only way to know for sure is to preg check them.

I have a couple of cows that even after being confirmed pregnant will still stand and act as they are in heat. Usually they stop after 4-5 months. Very frustrating at times. So yes, it does happen. Ultrasound her and you will know for sure.

It is absolutely possible to be in standing heat even if they are bred. We've had it happen quite a few times. They still have follicular waves while they are pregnant, but normally the presence of a CL doesn't allow the formation of a dominant follicle, which produces the hormone that makes them show heat.

I've never seen one show another heat a cycle later, though, and end up being bred. If she does it again in 21 days I would highly suspect that she is open.

Thanks guys this has helped me out alot, I'm 20 years old and have been in the cow buisness for 2 years and still have alot to learn as I go

AyerFarm":3e4cc7nd said:
Thanks guys this has helped me out alot, I'm 20 years old and have been in the cow buisness for 2 years and still have alot to learn as I go
I'm somewhat older than 20 and have been in the business for a lot more years but I still learn new stuff all the time. When you learn it all you might as well quit because you will have lost the battle and won;t improve .

Latest posts