Can a 7 month old angus bull calf breed a heifer?

Help Support CattleToday:

redangus

Reaction score
I thought I saw a 7 1/2 month old heifer showing signs of heat before I sorted my calves. Do I need to give her a shot of lut?

I would give her the shot just to be on the safe side...I've had a couple of heifer calves get bred at 5-6 months old.

Yes, a bull that young can breed a heifer. Not usual, but it does happen. Had a 6 1/2 month old bull (Angus) breed three heifers years ago.

SCfarms":2u2vlpgo said:
Thats like saying a 5 year old boy can breed a 20 year old woman. I never heard of them breeding that young.

I've definitely known of a Hereford breeding a cow when he was eight months old. It all depends on his maturity level. Besides, a seven month old bull would be more equivelent to a 12-14 year old human. And how do you equate a seven and a half month old heifer to a 20 year old woman?

Wait 3 weeks and watch her, if she shows heat again, she's not pregnant. Course maybe, if she goes off feed, she won't show again for 6 weeks.

mtnman

Worst thing I ever heard was " those yougn bulls wont' breed them cows." That was three seven month old bulls that got into the cow patch. Luckly there were no mothers bred. We aborted, but they got bred.

Scotty

A 7 month old bull can definitely breed if there is something to breed. Especialy if it is angus.

It will never fail.If you didn't want it to happen, it will.Yes they can breed that young.
Please remember that Stephen is a young man and by his own addmission he hasn't seen it,or heard it.
I do think that at 17 or so there will be alot a person might not have seen or heard yet.

SCfarms":1qpy30vi said:
Thats like saying a 5 year old boy can breed a 20 year old woman. I never heard of them breeding that young.
Wrong answer. Cattle mature more rapidly than humans.

As you can see, most of us are in total agreement. Yes, a 7 month old bull can settle females. Likely - no - but most definately probable.
I would wait & see if she keeps cycling. I have the same thing happen each year - I'll have young heifers start cycling while the bull calves are still with them. Never had one settle, but always a concern & always write down their standing dates & make sure they continue cycling - if not, I would definately hit them with Lutalyse. Of course, if you don't see your cattle often enough to feel confortable as to whether she will re-cycle, lutalyse is a cheap insurance.

I've had bulls as young as 7 months old breed and some that wouldnt until over a year old, all depends on the bull

The rule of thumb I use is, if a bull is physically capable of "reaching" a cycling female, he's capable of breeding her.

Latest posts