Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

kerley

Reaction score
Hi, I just recently purchased 5 hiefers. I was told they had all had one calf and were pregnant with second calves. They weigh between 1100-1200 lbs. When I purchased them they were running with a bull. The guy I bought them from told me they were ready to calve any day. That was 30 days ago. I don't have a holding pen yet, so I cannot contain them. Can you viusally tell if these cows are pregnant. They have small milk bags, no leakage yet and no vaginal discharge.

Kerley,
Make things easy for me.
Do you have any cattle experience?
Do you know what an open cow looks like?
Have you ever seen a cow nearing the end of her term?
SL

they will bag up fast when they are ready to calf.do you know how long they was running with the bull when you bought them.i think id had them palpated.

kerley":8m4z4g35 said:
Hi, I just recently purchased 5 hiefers. I was told they had all had one calf and were pregnant with second calves. They weigh between 1100-1200 lbs. When I purchased them they were running with a bull. The guy I bought them from told me they were ready to calve any day. That was 30 days ago. I don't have a holding pen yet, so I cannot contain them. Can you viusally tell if these cows are pregnant. They have small milk bags, no leakage yet and no vaginal discharge.

Just FYI, when a heifer has a calf, she becomes a cow. So you apparently bought five cows? Bred for their second calves? It's difficult to tell if a cow is bred or not, at least until they're "springing". If this guy told you they were going to calve "any day" and they still haven't, I wouldn't put much faith in his claim that they're bred. Since they were with the bull, some of them may have bred the day before you got them. You could have a vet palpate them and find out when they will calve.

kerley":1nl3f5a1 said:

A good eye can tell at that stage (8th month) if they are fat or pregnant.

Next time get everything palpated that you buy as bred before you buy.

Good luck with them and hopefully they are all bred and have calves on their own.

Kerley, I'm going to assume the best out of the fella that sold them to you and say what the fella might have meant by "any day" is they should be calving anytime within the next 90 days.

What I look for are the tail heads, sponginess of their vulva and their bags filling. I can normally tell when one is going to calve if the teat begins to pull off to the side a little. A lot of these things aren't going to be real evident to you until you have seen it a time or two but you will see for yourself soon enough.

Since these cows have already had one calf, leave them alone and let them have their calves in peace. If you see them riding one another you might need to think about getting a bull.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sir Loin":33rbxpx4 said:
Kerley,
Make things easy for me.
SL

I have no cattle experience. I do not know what an open cow looks like. I've never been around a cow nearing end of term. My experience in the past has been with horses. Seen and assisted in the birth of many foals.

Sometimes you can see the calf move on the cows right side. A day or so before they calf you can osmetimes notice when looking at them from the rear that they don;t appear as rounded as they were brfore. That will be particularly obvious on the right side

Capt Call said:
Seems like some people have people lining up to buy anything.[/quote

You are correct. I admitted that I was new to owning cattle and am not a cattle genius.

dun":al3tqyfu said:
Sometimes you can see the calf move on the cows right side. A day or so before they calf you can osmetimes notice when looking at them from the rear that they don;t appear as rounded as they were brfore. That will be particularly obvious on the right side

There are two that are very big on the right side, they look as though they could roll over.Maybe I got lucky.thanks for the help.I really appreciate it.

Calman":sr2pm8dv said:
Anytime we've ever sold a cow thats bred we have her palpated first.

Cal
That sounds like a good business practice.That is the way for me in future dealings.

kerley":2wqwbt7b said:
dun":2wqwbt7b said:

There are two that are very big on the right side, they look as though they could roll over.Maybe I got lucky.thanks for the help.I really appreciate it.

Kerley, I have found that most cattle folks are basically honest and if the guy said they were bred they probably are. Most cattleman will not lie about something like this. Here, lying about whether or not they are bred is grounds to get your money back on the cattle as well as hurting your reputation. Some may try to get a premium off a new comer getting in the business but not to lie about something like this. Most people breed on a 90 day cycle, so the calves will be born "any day" in this period of time.

If possible, post a picture of them. I'm sure many on the board could give you a good idea.

Jogeephus":2grfe92n said:
Kerley, I'm going to assume the best out of the fella that sold them to you and say what the fella might have meant by "any day" is they should be calving anytime within the next 90 days.

What I look for are the tail heads, sponginess of their vulva and their bags filling. I can normally tell when one is going to calve if the teat begins to pull off to the side a little. A lot of these things aren't going to be real evident to you until you have seen it a time or two but you will see for yourself soon enough.

Since these cows have already had one calf, leave them alone and let them have their calves in peace. If you see them riding one another you might need to think about getting a bull.

Good luck and keep us informed.
I truly want to believe that the fella that sold me the cows was honest.I am new to cattle and have so much to learn. I appreciate your help. Thank you.

Frankie":5l51enmn said:
kerley":5l51enmn said:

Just FYI, when a heifer has a calf, she becomes a cow. So you apparently bought five cows? Bred for their second calves? It's difficult to tell if a cow is bred or not, at least until they're "springing". If this guy told you they were going to calve "any day" and they still haven't, I wouldn't put much faith in his claim that they're bred. Since they were with the bull, some of them may have bred the day before you got them. You could have a vet palpate them and find out when they will calve.
Thanks for your input.

kerley":3kwmvqcx said:
My experience in the past has been with horses. Seen and assisted in the birth of many foals.

Heifer is to Cow as Filly is to Mare. You didn't buy heifers. You got some very young cows, which is usually good. The second birth is much easier for the most part.

Foaling and calving is not all that much different, as far as the birthing goes. Cows need to be left alone most of the time.

When the cow's tail starts rising the the birth canal starts swelling, she is "springing." Some start a month in advance.

When the udder starts swelling and the teats extend a little, you are close. Some will have a discharge for a day or so. I've got one that wiill have a discharge for up to ten days. They are all a bit different at times. When its time, cows usually head for brush and isolate themselves from the others.

hillsdown":2p5lpx5k said:
kerley":2p5lpx5k said:

A good eye can tell at that stage (8th month) if they are fat or pregnant.

Next time get everything palpated that you buy as bred before you buy.

Good luck with them and hopefully they are all bred and have calves on their own.
you are correct,I will take your advice like I said I have a lot to learn.My main concern is I want my cattle to be healthy. Even if they are not pregnant the cows are healthy and worth what I paid for them.Thank you Kerley

Sir Loin":et7kq81n said:
Kerley,
Make things easy for me.
SL
NO,NO,NO,Thanks for your reply, Now that you know that I am not the cattle Genus.......please help me, Thanks Kerley

backhoeboogie":3cd4f9w7 said:
kerley":3cd4f9w7 said:
My experience in the past has been with horses. Seen and assisted in the birth of many foals.

Heifer is to Cow as Filly is to Mare. You didn't buy heifers. You got some very young cows, which is usually good. The second birth is much easier for the most part.

Foaling and calving is not all that much different, as far as the birthing goes. Cows need to be left alone most of the time.

When the cow's tail starts rising the the birth canal starts swelling, she is "springing." Some start a month in advance.

When the udder starts swelling and the teats extend a little, you are close. Some will have a discharge for a day or so. I've got one that wiill have a discharge for up to ten days. They are all a bit different at times. When its time, cows usually head for brush and isolate themselves from the others.
Thank you very much for your help.Kerley

Latest posts