Calving cows part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Nicky

Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded,
I've never done this before so be patient. If I'm not supposed to put questions on more than one board, let me know. I didn't think everyone would read every board. But I don't expect more than one response from the same person.
Now, for the more info everyone wanted... This is actually an inquiry for our neighbor who does not have a computer. They have been calving out 50 - 60 registered Angus for the same breeder for 10 years or so. The cows come about a month before calving starts, and leave after the calves are all branded. The owner used to work a full time job in town (as a loan officer for Farm Credit!), and is now retired. He didn't and doesn't have the time or want the responsiblity for calving. He provides the feed, vaccine, and medicine. He pays them $10.00/ton for feeding, and $30.00 for every live calf. They provide all the labor, which includes tagging and weighing the calves. This was the original agreement and has never changed. I think he takes responsibility for all death loss. Our neigbors feel they should be getting more. But none of know of anyone else doing it. So once again, any thoughts are appreciated.
Thanks, Nicky

Other then the managment part of the calving, typical daily care (yardage) runs around $3.75 per head per day in this area and some as high as $6 if it's a short time.

dun

why don't they figure up the time involved & figure what it would cost by the hour. sounds real cheap to me, which is why he beings them every year.

Is it really that bad of a deal? Not including feeding, which for 50 cows @ $10 a ton could add up pretty quick, they are making $1500-$1800 bucks
for a couple of months work, and the first month all they are doing is feeding the cows, then waiting for the calves, and then the work begins after birth as they have to vaccinate/tag em all. They are not out any of their own $$ and not responsible for any calves dieing, and I am assuming they have cattle of their own, and either they or their hands take care of their own cows. Granted, I've never had 50 hd to care for, but it seems like a good way to pick up a few extra dollars each yr.

Doesn't sound like enough money to me. They stay at his farm for about two months? Even if they are being fed they are still foraging, seems like something should be paid per day for the cows to board there also.

Caustic Burno":2rd4yz78 said:
I wouldn't do it, seems like some real lazy fellow has got a good tax write off.

not lazy Smart .... I don,t think these guys are breaking even for fuel and labour. I also don,t see any fee for manure removal, granted it is a fertilizer, but it still has a cost if it is to be utilized.

frenchie":2di7srax said:
Caustic Burno":2di7srax said:
I wouldn't do it, seems like some real lazy fellow has got a good tax write off.

not lazy Smart .... I don,t think these guys are breaking even for fuel and labour. I also don,t see any fee for manure removal, granted it is a fertilizer, but it still has a cost if it is to be utilized.

Frenchie,
Are you that frustrated with OT that you have to yell at ALL of us? That is all you have been doing the last few days, is yelling at us.

Latest posts