Calving 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

Update on a "whale" cow. She finally popped today. Calved herself, but had an uterine prolapse. Thankfully calf is alive and bright, and managed to fix prolapse.
View attachment 28666
295 days gestation, bull calf, sired by blonde, out of 7/8 lim cow.
20230808_155829.jpg
Mastitis at three days post partum definitely had reduced milk production for this lactation, but her calf is growing rather good.

20230805_103239.jpg
Parthenaise bull calf, which we decided to keep for breeding next year. Our last lim bull decided to retire very quickly by not doing his job and after almost all cows repeated (twice) after his service culled him. In his place will be kept two our own bred bull calves. This one and charolais calf above.
20230805_102653.jpg

Will be her last calf because?? She looks to be in great condition with a good udder.
Age. Don't want to keep older cows for long as have lost two pregnant ones this year. And have many real good heifers growing up, so either have to cull cows and replace them with heifers, or sell heifers.
Max how long we keep our cows is 14 years. She will be 13 next year, so maybe if she won't have a heifer next year, might give her one more try, but two more the same age cows will be culled next year as well. It was real painfull to loose two cows this year- one 15years old with almost 9 months old fetus and another 14 years old with 6 months old fetus.

Weaning will start in November and it really shows that it's getting closer.
20230906_103036.jpg
20230906_103102.jpg
February born lim calf out of angusx cow.
20230906_102957.jpg
5 months old charolais bull calf. Dam is 10 years old and will be sold after weaning.
20230831_131921.jpg
4 months old parthenaise heifer out of heifer.
20230827_103937.jpg
Around 6 months old vrb bull calf.
20230823_113907.jpg
4 months old blonde calf, dam standing behind. Real tall calf. Wonder how big he will be in two months.

Forgot to ask everyone, but how many are using such method or know it?
20230831_131610.jpg
It's been a couple years, since I got to learn about it and been using it since then for harder delivered calves when I see them struggling to breath. It actually works real well. Done this for our last calf too. He was really struggling to breath, but had an immediate relief when stuck a needle into his nose. Very quick and a huge change.

I've heard of the needle, but have not seen it used or tried it. That is an excellent picture to show how to use it.
I know your goals are a lot different than mine, but the Jefferson bull is grotesque. He looks like a freek show!
I love your 1st cow (pure Limo) and the Charolais looking cow is super nice also. Good looking group.

I've heard of the needle, but have not seen it used or tried it. That is an excellent picture to show how to use it.
I know your goals are a lot different than mine, but the Jefferson bull is grotesque. He looks like a freek show!
I love your 1st cow (pure Limo) and the Charolais looking cow is super nice also. Good looking group.
Have seen some putting the needle abit lower, but still aiming for the centre. Good thing to know in a case of an emergency. Have used it several times and it done it's job.
Have seen the progeny of Jefferson in crossbreeding programs. Calves are lovely. However, they also tend to have broader shoulders at birth, so that's gonna be a thing to remember when his calves will be ready to be born.
The whitish cow is actually belgian blue sired out of 3/4 charolais cow. Had two calves so far. The last lim bull left her empty last year, but she stuck on the first try with AI this year. Have left her first daughter for breeding. She is in this year breeding group- horned red with white roan belly.

the Charolais looking cow is super nice also
Screenshot_20230911-013748_Gallery.jpg
She has changed her colour quite alot! She is the one on the right. The other calf was sired by the same blue and out of another charx cow.
Screenshot_20230911-013624_Facebook.jpg
Dam was pure white, abit bigger, but daughter has way more belly capacity.

Forgot to ask everyone, but how many are using such method or know it?
View attachment 34855
It's been a couple years, since I got to learn about it and been using it since then for harder delivered calves when I see them struggling to breath. It actually works real well. Done this for our last calf too. He was really struggling to breath, but had an immediate relief when stuck a needle into his nose. Very quick and a huge change.
So, the recovery position in conjunction with the needle, like acupuncture? Interesting. What gauge needle and do you leave it in until the calf shows a response?

Latest posts