Calving 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

A whale of a calf. Will you rebreed the cow or she headed for the abattoir after raising the calf?
If she will heal well why not. It's her fourth or fifth calf, no previous issues, so it's just the odd one. She is still trying to push, so it's going to be a challenge to keep her not prolapsed again it seems.
20230409_065417.jpg
Calf had nursed, so that's atleast one good thing to see today. To add to the loss list- found this cow's dam lying flat dead this morning... Possible heart attack, 14 years old, was in perfect health, 6,5months incalf...
And also have another cow calving at the moment.

If she will heal well why not. It's her fourth or fifth calf, no previous issues, so it's just the odd one. She is still trying to push, so it's going to be a challenge to keep her not prolapsed again it seems.
View attachment 28703
Calf had nursed, so that's atleast one good thing to see today. To add to the loss list- found this cow's dam lying flat dead this morning... Possible heart attack, 14 years old, was in perfect health, 6,5months incalf...
And also have another cow calving at the moment.
Sorry to hear about her dam…we lost a "younger" cow to a heart attack or aneurysm last year. We were shocked as she was due for a heat and had beautiful mucus. So we were keeping a close eye to see when she would stand etc. Within two hours a healthy, chewing cud, cow was peacefully dead in a sleeping position. I say "younger" she was 8 and had given us 4 sets of twins in a row and looked as healthy as could be. Last year her set was the first I separated and grafted one to a mama who lost hers three days before. I felt fortunate I was left with only one orphan to deal with. He was three months old, would not steal so weaned him onto grain like a dairy calf and he made it to sale. I have seen prolapsed cows continue to do great things but it usually is a "time to go" for us, sadly - I truly hope this girl is one of those that can stay on the farm. 😊 Keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about her dam…we lost a "younger" cow to a heart attack or aneurysm last year. We were shocked as she was due for a heat and had beautiful mucus. So we were keeping a close eye to see when she would stand etc. Within two hours a healthy, chewing cud, cow was peacefully dead in a sleeping position. I say "younger" she was 8 and had given us 4 sets of twins in a row and looked as healthy as could be. Last year her set was the first I separated and grafted one to a mama who lost hers three days before. I felt fortunate I was left with only one orphan to deal with. He was three months old, would not steal so weaned him onto grain like a dairy calf and he made it to sale. I have seen prolapsed cows continue to do great things but it usually is a "time to go" for us, sadly - I truly hope this girl is one of those that can stay on the farm. 😊 Keep us posted.
I agree... Prolapse is an automatic trip...

But then... so is twins.

I agree... Prolapse is an automatic trip...

But then... so is twins.
For vaginal- yes, for uterine-no. One is inheritable, another can be caused by many factors, which often isn't cow's fault.
Had uterine prolapses in the past, and all healed well after, had no repeats of such problem and had several calves after that.

We had a still born bull calf a few weeks back..
Had a lot going on that day and when I went back to bury the baby ,
a large critter had already carried it off.. Thank You Mother nature..

I haven't been around much , mate has not been well.
So I have been running everything.. My work his work..
Kind of takes my free time..

I know I'm in the small calf camp vs the big calf camp . Would the Whale's vaginal prolapse be a result of having large calves ? Asking for a friend .

I know I'm in the small calf camp vs the big calf camp . Would the Whale's vaginal prolapse be a result of having large calves ? Asking for a friend .
Big calf at birth can be one of the prolapse reasons. As well as hypocalcemia, strong straining, improper assistance if the delivery was assisted, etc. At this time a big calf could be a reason why she prolapsed. It doesn't mean that she will prolapse next time with a bigger calf. Had one cow prolapse at her first calving. She is currently 10 years old and hadn't prolapsed again, even if she usually has bigger calves than her first one.

Latest posts