Calving 2023

Help Support CattleToday:

I remember seeing picutures of NR over on ranchers AIing one out in the field. But there was someone on a horse with a rope holding the cow.

I actually enjoy AI. Sometimes it's not that easy as in the photo, but the end result is what matters to me. Out new bull actually wasn't that good at his main job last year and left me a couple empty cows, so going to AI as many cows as possible this year too. This year will have around 70-80% of calves from AI and the rest by the bull.
Today had AI'ed two more cows. In total 12 in 13 days. All AI'ed just like in the photo, except for two, which needed their rope to be tied somewhere to restrict their movements.
We use to sync the cows, then AI a few and did embryo trans.. On a few..
It was ok in my younger years...
I like how we do it now , Let nature do it all..
We no longer have Angus... Only long horns.. And not a shoot that can handle them..

Last edited:
Several ladies ready to pop anytime now, but still thinking that their calves are to small to deliver 😅🤦‍♀️
But here some photos of latest calves.
20230327_134747.jpg
This one is 9 days old... growing like a weed. Will be very interesting to see him at the weaning.
20230327_135719.jpg
11 days old culard.
20230327_135944.jpg
12 days old vrb calf.
All these are still in the shed. It's so muddy outside that it's impossible for us to walk, so for a young calf it would be also real struggle.

Weighed both heifers yesterday. Parthenaise- 103,6lbs, charolais- 104,7lbs. The charolais was abit stubborn at nursing for the first two days, so had to move her with the dam into the shed for better conditions for helping her. Today shę finally started taking the teat herself.
20230331_111654.jpg

A couple calvings happened during the last few days. The first calves by the new lim bull hit the ground.
20230405_124602.jpg

20230405_093817.jpg
20230405_093432.jpg
The last pic's story shows why many people don't like twins. Cow was showing signs of the start of the calving process yesterday in the evening. This morning no signs of the feet. Checked her- the sack wasn't broken. Felt that the head of the calf was facing down. Broke the sack, fixed the head. Found a pair of feet next to the head. Abit further found the second mouth. Those feet were of the second calf. The first calf also had it's legs bent under. Managed to fix those and finally got the first calf out. Dead heifer. Put ropes on the second calf's feet, pulled another dead calf out. That was a fairly big bull calf. That makes the second set of twins and both sets were dead.
On abit a better note, calves are growing reall well.
20230405_123913.jpg
20230405_123938.jpg
This fella is 17 days old.
20230405_124345.jpg
The culard calf, 20 days old.
20230405_123848.jpg
This whale is holding her calf hostage for 292 days already.

Weighed twins- heifer 69,5lbs, bull 107lbs.

We actually had a major loss three days ago. Had the oldest cow separated from the herd and being down for the past month. She was due to calve on the 25th of April, so tried to get as close as possible to her due date and induce, planned about this weekend. We lifted her every day and she ate and drank. Unfortunatelly, three days ago in the morning she started looking worse. I was away from home, so hoped that she will wait untill the later afternoon. However by the 3:30pm she was dead. The calf inside was dead too. She still was alive at 2:30pm. Would have had a 7/8 charolais bull calf... You win some and you loose some, unfortunatelly... Gonna be more cautious about older cows next time and not keeping them for one extra year. It would have been her last calf.

Weighed twins- heifer 69,5lbs, bull 107lbs.

We actually had a major loss three days ago. Had the oldest cow separated from the herd and being down for the past month. She was due to calve on the 25th of April, so tried to get as close as possible to her due date and induce, planned about this weekend. We lifted her every day and she ate and drank. Unfortunatelly, three days ago in the morning she started looking worse. I was away from home, so hoped that she will wait untill the later afternoon. However by the 3:30pm she was dead. The calf inside was dead too. She still was alive at 2:30pm. Would have had a 7/8 charolais bull calf... You win some and you loose some, unfortunatelly... Gonna be more cautious about older cows next time and not keeping them for one extra year. It would have been her last calf.
How old was she?

That sucks. I lost a cow couple days ago, and of course lost the calf as well. This spring has been hard on me; lost six calves so far due to weather. I will be so glad when all this snow goes away; its time for it to warm up.

Latest posts