Calves vs. coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

I'm also one that has seen yotes laying in the same pasture as my cattle and no problems. My two dogs walk among the cattle on a regular basis. I did lose a calf to a couple of dogs from the neighbors a few years back, the dogs also got some goats from another place down the road. I had heard that when the dogs started comming home bloody and the owners heard of neighbors livestock being killed, the two dogs in question just disappeared (?).

Alan

Medic24":1atvtzts said:
Ok folks.......here we are...........once again into the start of calving season, and we have about 67 newborns on the ground so far since the first of the month.........this year we are taking proactive prevention of easy pickins for our local pack of yotes..tell me if I am missing anything obvious.

We have in our main herd area the following:

2 donkeys
a small group of Llamas (worthless I think)
a Great Pyrenese who barks almost all night long.
Several Texas Longhorn cows.
Several Highlander cows with horns intact.

Reflective silver tape fluttering in the wind at certain spaced locations (worthless?)

Over a dozen traps and snares set up in pathways entering our pastures in corners etc.

Anything missing, or anything anyone wishes to add? :cboy: :?:
I've never had a problem with dogs or yotes but my neighbor with a herd of Longhorns was constantly having trouble with dogs. I rotate my cattle and they stay in a tighter group. Perhaps that is the difference but horns are no guarantee of better protection.

Jacks will kill your calves but some Jennies (not all) will protect your cattle.

Well, every one has different experiences with yotes, and donkeys etc.

Remember we are talking about EASTERN coyotes here, a bit larger, and different then the western breed.

I have a gelding, and an intact jack, so far, other then a tussle on occasion with the larger cattle at the feed trough, they are keeping the calves safe, and not hurting them, although I had a friend that had a donkey 'skin' a calf in the past.

I have also heard of Jennies stealing calves on rare occasions, especially around the time that they also give birth............so who knows huh? :cboy:

Like I have said learn your predators and how to read sign.
Just because you see a coyote eating a dead calf doesn't mean he is guilty of the deed he just found an easy meal and called the family to supper. If you don't learn to read your predator from hogs to dogs you will never solve your problem chasing coyotes.I have heard them being blamed for quail and turkey destrution when it is feral housecats causing 90% of the destruction. It is like all the big cats that never get run over on a highway that no one can get a picture of and scared deer hunters see them all the time, they brag they can shoot a deer that weighs a 100 lbs at 300 yards(100) but they never are able to get a bead on a 200 lb cat.

Medic24":1ndv0743 said:
Well, every one has different experiences with yotes, and donkeys etc.

Remember we are talking about EASTERN coyotes here, a bit larger, and different then the western breed.

I have a gelding, and an intact jack, so far, other then a tussle on occasion with the larger cattle at the feed trough, they are keeping the calves safe, and not hurting them, although I had a friend that had a donkey 'skin' a calf in the past.

I have also hear of Jennies stealing calves on rare occasions, especially around the time that they also give birth............so who knows huh? :cboy:
I doubt your yotes are bigger than our feral dogs or more aggressive. I have no need for donkeys so I have very limited experience with them. I just wanted you to be cautious with the males as I have seen what they can do.

having read all this thread i've found hardly anyone believes the same way about predators, which is the way it should be. we have a right to believe the way we want to and to do what works best for us.
so my $.02 cents worth is if it's not a cow, calf or bull it don't belong in my pasture and I take action.no matter if it's cat dog
hog buzzard or coyotte. (or a 200lb cat) Even my neighbors ask before they enter my place and in turn I do the same.I will not enter another mans property without his permission.

If you ever have a cow/cafe die, use that to your advantage, park your truck withing range of your rifle (perferably a 12 guage goose shot magnum) or camp out by the carcase, just wait my freind (perferably on a not cloudy moonlight night) Just wait for those bastards to come up to get the carcase, just wait a little give it a few minutes for the neighbors to come out and help then my freind light them up. This method works best with 2 guys and automatic shot guns, but you know its your call my freind Im just saying thats how I would do it.

I've never known a cyotoe to take down a cow or calf. Cows don't seem to percieve them as a threat either. They run right by the herd and they don't even flinch. I thought cyotoes were scavengers and didn't pack hunt like dogs will. We have lost several cows and calves to people's dogs. The people who own them never take responsibility. "My dog wouldn't do that." they say. Some of the worst ones for this are german shepards and huskies, but any big dog will run them and will eventually attack. They get bored. They will run in packs and do a lot of damage. Dogs are by far my biggest predator problem especially in the spring when it starts to warm up. They will run 7-8 miles from home. Have lost a cow and calf to a pack of dogs when she was calving.

Smith1000":1a2gd6pa said:
I've never known a cyotoe to take down a cow or calf. Cows don't seem to percieve them as a threat either. They run right by the herd and they don't even flinch. I thought cyotoes were scavengers and didn't pack hunt like dogs will. We have lost several cows and calves to people's dogs. The people who own them never take responsibility. "My dog wouldn't do that." they say. Some of the worst ones for this are german shepards and huskies, but any big dog will run them and will eventually attack. They get bored. They will run in packs and do a lot of damage. Dogs are by far my biggest predator problem especially in the spring when it starts to warm up. They will run 7-8 miles from home. Have lost a cow and calf to a pack of dogs when she was calving.

Thats why if a stray dog comes on the place it is a dead dog, my mentor taught me that. :)

Latest posts