Calves Sheath/naval

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
A week old calf has a prominent sheath/naval. I don't remember my other calves having as large a sheath/naval as this one. Should I be concerned? He urinates easily. He happened to be doing that today when I got to thinking that he is large where the urine was coming from. He is very healthy and jumps and plays. The pen is very clean but I did not put anything on the umbilical cord to disinfect it. I saw where there is a thread on infected umbilical cords/navals. Someone mentioned somewhere that iodine should be put on the umbilical cord at birth. Is that a good practice? I am only asking, as I don't think this calf has any problems.
b8mu54.jpg

I iodine the naval of all mine at birth. Helps it dry out faster and disinfects it. Very good idea as wet and muddy as it has been here. I use a spray bottle, but I have heard others talk about dipping them.

I do not but my cows calf in the pasture and not in a pen. If they calved in a pen then I would dip every single calf. If I were going to guess anything I would guess hernia but I do not think your calf has any problem based on what you have said here. Naval ill should have him on his knees by a week old not up and playing. A hernia is often asymptomatic until the calf is much older.

Thats the way all mine look, but I have a touch of beemaster in mine so its just normal for me.

That looks swollen to me rather than loose skin(hard to tell from pic), I'd catch the little guy and see what's going on - hernia or infection.

Thanks folks. I was in no hurry to do anything as he looks so good for a week old and playing. Weather is cold and snow today. I will take a look as he amd mom are pretty easy going.

I dip all of ours with iodine at birth, Mine calve in a drylot near the barn. As for your calf I think the navel looks a bit suspicious and would be checking it out, it may be fine better to check to be sure. I have seen navel ill be sneaky and not show any external sign until it's too late.

The weather is cold and snowing hard. Really bad. I took a quick look again. Seems the umbilical cord that comes out of the belly is large. And his penis seems pretty prominent. He runs and jumps and loves to play. Plenty of energy. He runs to you real fast, pulls up and then looks at you. Really cute little guy. I will watch him real close. Right now he is fine.

It could be navel ill. If the end of the umbilical cord looks infected he needs some antibiotics to prevent joint ill. I had one once the vet cut the end of the navel off and cauterized it just so it didn't look so bad and give the buyers a reason to dock him. Gave him 2 days of antibiotics and he was fine.

bigbluegrass":1vbyql20 said:
I iodine the naval of all mine at birth. Helps it dry out faster and disinfects it. Very good idea as wet and muddy as it has been here. I use a spray bottle, but I have heard others talk about dipping them.
I always dipped the navel, and shot of selenium, and B12 in first 24 hours.

Tied him and took a detailed look. No infection, not sore, just big umbilical cord. I squeezed it as was demonstrated on you-tube. No reaction, no discharge. It actually is healed nicely. A scab about the same diameter as the cord. I sprayed the exterior with Vetericyn.

Latest posts