calves shaking heads

Help Support CattleToday:

Had one that was doing that last spring...caught her, took a look, turned out to be an ear infection. Easy to diagnose by the way it was draining all over the outer ear. A round of Baytril cleared it right up.

johndeerefarmer":29vz1rvy said:
I have several calves that periodically shake their heads, as if their ears itch.

What do u think? Lice?

I would guess lice, easy to check by looking on the ear hairs for eggs and maybe even some little crawlys. Or maybe they just can;t believe the weather and are shaking their heads about that, I've been doing that a lot lately myself

dun

dun":36omb1lh said:
johndeerefarmer":36omb1lh said:
I have several calves that periodically shake their heads, as if their ears itch.

What do u think? Lice?

I would guess lice, easy to check by looking on the ear hairs for eggs and maybe even some little crawlys. Or maybe they just can;t believe the weather and are shaking their heads about that, I've been doing that a lot lately myself

dun

Maybe their wondering why that 2 legged animal keeps coming to stare at them every 20 minutes.

Ear ticks. Feed on ear wax and cause irritation. Secondary reaction is ear infection. If i could afford to I would watch mine all the time DR.

Scotty

Scotty":2zp59atm said:
Ear ticks. Feed on ear wax and cause irritation. Secondary reaction is ear infection. If i could afford to I would watch mine all the time DR.

Scotty

ticks in the wintertime scotty?

buckaroo_bif":3blhjcjf said:
Scotty":3blhjcjf said:

Scotty

Got them right now. I have not really had any winter. yesterday it was 82 and moved some cows. Sweated like every thing. Right now, 24 hours later it is 30 and windy. Stick your finger in ones ear and you will find out about ear ticks(if they have them) They can live in the ground and come out when they please.

Scotty

well hang on to your a dubble cause winter is on it's way headed south! we have a +5 wind chill right now and dropping!
didn't realize ticks could be a problem right now.

buckaroo_bif":4wzwadm8 said:
Scotty":4wzwadm8 said:

Scotty

We've got em now as well. Had two on my dog a couple weeks ago and got one on my steer the other day.

my cows do that sometimes. i always hit the ground, it sounds like a drive-by. FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! FLAP! FLAP!FLAP! :hat:

Latest posts