Calves lsoing hair...

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
We have been having several calves lose hair, especially on their rear end and legs. Some of them had navel infections and I thought it was due to a fever from the navel infection. We treated several this year for navel infections but some lost hair that had no sign of a navel infection, they seem to start growing the hair back no problem. Any ideas?

Whether you have noticed it or not the calves have probably had watery stools and the moisture on the rear end and back legs has caused them to loose the hair. I have a few the same way. It grows back well and doesnt seem to be an issue later.

kenny thomas":efx8po6g said:
Whether you have noticed it or not the calves have probably had watery stools and the moisture on the rear end and back legs has caused them to loose the hair. I have a few the same way. It grows back well and doesnt seem to be an issue later.
Some of them also have lost hair on their front legs.

tom4018":1qio0msq said:
kenny thomas":1qio0msq said:
Some of them also have lost hair on their front legs.
Ok, got me there. I have never seen it on the front legs.

Maybe mites... and they are rubbing on trees, barb wire, etc. to scratch?

Typically a fever, they will lose hair around their ears.

aprille218":15of4kkk said:
Maybe fescue poisoning?
Could that happen with calves a few weeks old? Majority of the pasture is fescue with lots of clover.

Latest posts