Calves aren't growing enough

Help Support CattleToday:

CopeMan

Reaction score
I have some what of a problem, maybe more of a question but any input from veterans is what I'm looking for. My calves seem to be almost stunted this year. East Tennessee has been in a drought this year, my area not as severe as other places such as north Georgia, and central Alabama but we still haven't had much rain all summer or fall. We also experienced a hot summer. In saying all that my calves have not grown. My calving season was stretched out a little further this year then normal. From February to a late calf in June. All of my 40 something calves had access to a 3 ton Apache creep feeder as soon as my oldest calves were 2 months old. They were worked and vaccinated on time. I also weaned the first group of the oldest calves on August 4. The bulk of those were my commercial calves which are local fescue raised angus and sim-angus cows. They are still my heaviest calves currently. I weaned the second group about a month later around first of September, the bulk of these were my registered brangus calves. Most of those calves mothers came from South Florida in early fall of 2015. These cows had never been on fescue grass before. Those calves have not really grown anymore since then. Also note that all these calves, 40 in total have been on grass traps, with two 3 ton apache creep feeders filled with a 13% protein beef mix feed, they have access to clean water, good mineral and hay. Yet they still seem to never grow, they stay in a good body condition but still remain short, they are not getting any height to them nor are they really getting bigger in any direction. I have 4 registered heifers ear marked to keep as replacements and they just aren't growing like they should. What has gone wrong? Ive never had calves do this? My calves always wean around 600-700 yearly. Some of the really bad calves still prolly weigh around 250 and they are 8 months old. For example a brangus cow of mine who is 6 now has raised huge calves each year. Actually sold a 1300 pound YW Utlrablack bull calf of hers last year at the Oaks Farm in Georgia. Her calve this year is a little ratty, scrawny heifer that prolly weighs 250. Any help or advice is appreciated. Was it the hot summer and not enough grass to milk? Thanks

I think you pretty well hit it on the head with your last sentence.

That seems extreme to me especially since they have been on creep. Are you on top of Pestivrus? Especially since you said those calves mothers were introductions in 2015.

Ken

Only time I have seen this with a few calves out of BM cows that don't milk. Creep does not seem to be a good solution for the calves. I think they get pushed around since they are small or timid. Good news is they may be already weaned...

Sounds like you need to try something else. Penning the smallest calves with a few others the same size helps a lot. Also may need to sort off some cows that are not a good fit for your operation?

Good luck.

Stocker Steve":1ii1zwk8 said:
Only time I have seen this with a few calves out of BM cows that don't milk. Creep does not seem to be a good solution for the calves. I think they get pushed around since they are small or timid. Good news is they may be already weaned...

Sounds like you need to try something else. Penning the smallest calves with a few others the same size helps a lot. Also may need to sort off some cows that are not a good fit for your operation?

Good luck.

Yeah Im getting ready to preg check soon, and Im def gonna be culling some of the cows who raised the calves who aren't growing to good. I have the 40 calves in a pretty good sized trap and they all have access to two 3 ton apache feeders. Ive sat and watched them and they all have adequate time at the feeder during the day. I thought that may have been it too but I've watched some of the smallest calves get pretty fiesty at the feeders lol Thanks

dun":1tca1mpf said:
I think you pretty well hit it on the head with your last sentence.

Thanks bud, thats what I really feel like it has been too. My vet has told me that cows have not gotten bred very good this year either due to the heat we had. He said he has checked 3,000 head in last month and 45% were open.

Drought stressed grass will surely effect weaning weights. Florida to Tennessee on the Brangus....Well the hot dry conditions shouldn't effect them, but the change in forage probably did.

Another thought, I moved an AngusPlus Bull off some cross-breds to my Brangus cows because the Hereford bull that was on them got hurt. I'm not happy with the weaning weights from that match up either and I've had near perfect conditions for cattle this year.

We were horrible dry the beginning of the year, we started getting rain and good grass growth about 2 months before we weaned. Weaning weights were pretty close to average but maybe down a bit. We had 3 calves born real late, well after the rains and grass started growing. The way they are growing they will wean 75-100 pounds heavier then the early born calves.

1982vett":1s9p35z5 said:
Drought stressed grass will surely effect weaning weights. Florida to Tennessee on the Brangus....Well the hot dry conditions shouldn't effect them, but the change in forage probably did.

Another thought, I moved an AngusPlus Bull off some cross-breds to my Brangus cows because the Hereford bull that was on them got hurt. I'm not happy with the weaning weights from that match up either and I've had near perfect conditions for cattle this year.

Thanks for your input, I bought a group of 20 registered cows from Florida and they were all bred to the same bull. Im not happy with one calf off that cross either. He was a registered brangus bull but his calves stink, not one was worthy of keeping as a replacement or a bull to grow out and sell. So I guess I should not weigh out genetics either. All my herd was bred to two Tommy Mead hereford bulls so Im excited to see those calves and hopefully some heavier weights. Given we have a little more wet weather next year.

dun":26wrrznr said:
We were horrible dry the beginning of the year, we started getting rain and good grass growth about 2 months before we weaned. Weaning weights were pretty close to average but maybe down a bit. We had 3 calves born real late, well after the rains and grass started growing. The way they are growing they will wean 75-100 pounds heavier then the early born calves.

Yeah, I really feel if we'd had some more rain earlier in the summer we'd been alright. Glad your calves weaned off good.

Just because the bull is registered doesn;t mean squat. The weights may also have multiple causes. Cows adjusting to relocation, genetics of the cow or the bull or both, and the quality of the forage due to the weather. If they moved to fescue from a none fescue area, that can also enter into it.

For creep feeding young calves like u were doesn't seem like 13% protein would be enough. When Iam feeding young calves I try for at least 16%. Just my thoughts (they may be wrong)

Stocker Steve":3q94qf61 said:
pricefarm":3q94qf61 said:
For creep feeding young calves like u were doesn't seem like 13% protein would be enough. When Iam feeding young calves I try for at least 16%.

Good catch
I've always been told if you werent feeding at least 16% protein to calves on feed you were throwing your money away.

Stocker Steve":2y7bpjgd said:
pricefarm":2y7bpjgd said:
For creep feeding young calves like u were doesn't seem like 13% protein would be enough. When Iam feeding young calves I try for at least 16%.

Good catch

I WAS GONNA COMMENT THE SAME THING...16% PROTEIN MINIMUM FOR CALVES AND WOULD LIKE IT TO BE GOOD QUALITY PROTEIN.

Latest posts