calm cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefmasters.. But, with most cattle, if you raise them from when they are heifers, feed them out, walk around them, get them used to you, I would think MOST breeds would be somewhat docile. Just gotta remember they are all just animals.

Murray Greys are extremely docile; and that seems true
as a breed, not as an individual animal or herd. The
great majority of the breed are also of a moderate size;
neither small as lowlines nor the big, impossible-to-keep-
in-condition types. You typically will not see a skinny
Murray unless the pasture is over-stocked, they are
wormy, or some idot has bred up the size/height.

When we walk the pasture, it looks like we are leading
a parade. Without doubt, the best choice for attitude;
especially for little kids in 4-H, FFA.

Simmentals are pretty docile to as long as you have the right ones. I have only had a few problems,but most of them before I bought them, didn't get treated very well if you know what I mean. Everything I have raised have been very docile and when calved out, has never even thought about doing anything to me when I am in there with a calf. My bulls, always been able to go out on pasture and lay on top of them in the sun if they were halter broke, hardly a mean bone in their bodies. Most cattle are going to be docile when they deal with someone on a more than daily basis and are treated halfway decent.

I had always heard Herefords but we've had some wild ones. I've found the short fat ones tend to be less high-strung than the tall skinny ones.

Honestly I have found the Red Angus to have the nicest disposition. I am not saying that because we breed them, we breed them because that is what we have found.

South Devons and Herefords are the two breeds which have used docility in their promotion of the breed for generations. Neighbour raises both in a crossbreeding program and they seem to work. Shorthorn x Hereford are the ones you want to stay away from. Great mothers, but killers when they have their calves.

There are tame ones in all breeds. I think the key to finding gentle cattle is know what type of management they came from. Some run when a person walks into the pasture, but yet a 4 wheeler or a tractor shows up they follow it like a dog.

In Nov. we bought a black brangus heifer 1+, in 2nd stage (I figure she's gonna be about 17 months when she calves and that's probably why they sold her but $400 was a good buy).
The first few weeks when you walked into the pasture she went the other way, now she's at least not running, she just has her head up, and I figure in a few more months she won't even throw her head up..... I had 2 brangus bulls (sold one this week) that I bought at 8 and 10 months old, and they will follow a bucket anywhere. But I wouldn't recommend brangus to a beginner, I 'm just saying that depending upon how they are handled and managed makes the difference and that is for any breed.

Red poll are just as gentle as herefords and in my opinion you can't beat a red poll in disposition.

The native tradition of using children to herd cattle, resulted in thousands of years of selection for docility in the Sanga cattle, the Tuli breed selected from these cattle are the most docile I have worked with, and the only breed I allow my disabled son to work with.

I have halter broken Herefords in a week's time for show. Never been able to do that with any of the Brangus, Angus, or Simmentals I've worked with. Never been kicked by a Hereford, but the other three have way-laid me several times!

We've had no problems with our Longhorns-they're pretty docile, but of course it depends on how much time they are around people and how they are handled. This is true for any breed.

All my life Herefords have had the reputation as being very docile.The older cowmen from when I was a kid would say the same thing.

Latest posts