Calling Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

LOL... High they run sometimes but most of the time they walk with a steady pace. There was a reason I did that video in that pasture and not the one with my bull he will run through the fence to get some sweet feed.

I just say "Come on girls" in a voice not too much over conversational volume. I don't yell for them. They have great hearing and are focused on my every word. If they are being pokey I might say "Well come on if your hungry". They know exactly what I am saying. And they will run to me.

I just blow the horn on the truck...if they think they are to move to new pasture they come running....if they aren't hungry enough to want to move.... all I need to do is get out and drop the tailgate....better be a bag of cubes to rustle around with (they are on to the tailgate only drop).

LauraleesFarm":2f21nb6i said:
I just say "Come on girls" in a voice not too much over conversational volume. I don't yell for them. They have great hearing and are focused on my every word. If they are being pokey I might say "Well come on if your hungry". They know exactly what I am saying. And they will run to me.

I thought about that a few years after I started calling them, do I have to yell? I know my neighbors can hear me and know every time I call cattle. But now it's too late, the cows are trained to my call and help train the youngsters. I have a retired couple that can stand on their 2nd story balcony and see my lower pastures, I have seen them come out on the balcony to watch my cattle when I call them, they have told me it's good entertainment for them and if they are handy they will step out to watch to stampede.

For those of you that call your animals with your car horn, consider this. It would be very easy to call your animals to a pen by thieves. I know it has been done here in Texas, just something you might want to consider.

houstoncutter":3mkm06kc said:
For those of you that call your animals with your car horn, consider this. It would be very easy to call your animals to a pen by thieves. I know it has been done here in Texas, just something you might want to consider.

Unless someone can mimic the ching, ching, bang, bang, ching, bang rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ching, ching, bang sounds that our feed truck makes coming down the road, I think were safe. They're generally lined up ready for action by the time we get there. The stragglers we call in, I doubt thieves want to wait around for them. :D

I was thinking about this the other day. I know my dad calls the same way that his dad called em. I call them the same way my dad called em. Suppose if my kids have anything to do with the farm, they will as well. Wondered how far it goes back. When I was young, a friend asked me one time what my dad was saying. I told him, I don't really know, I'm not sure he knows.

LauraleesFarm":3pla9sia said:

That would not work for me. My cows are sometimes down in the holler. I don't see them. After I call a couple times, Bertha will call back to me. But when they are 3/4 of a mile down in a holler, you better have a loud voice. See this picture, they can be in that holler at the end of that ridge.
r1zoxz.jpg

Commercialfarmer":3vo7ky4z said:
houstoncutter":3vo7ky4z said:

Unless someone can mimic the ching, ching, bang, bang, ching, bang rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, ching, ching, bang sounds that our feed truck makes coming down the road, I think were safe. They're generally lined up ready for action by the time we get there. The stragglers we call in, I doubt thieves want to wait around for them. :D

I was thinking about this the other day. I know my dad calls the same way that his dad called em. I call them the same way my dad called em. Suppose if my kids have anything to do with the farm, they will as well. Wondered how far it goes back. When I was young, a friend asked me one time what my dad was saying. I told him, I don't really know, I'm not sure he knows.
Must say...it does take a few times in a "new" vehicle for them to understand the new ...accent....AND you (a thief) would have to know what they (the cows) know. Last time I penned I had to change my plan...I messed up and took a phone call just after I dumped out the cubes. A minute later I got in the truck and 75% of them beat me out the gate. But me knowing my cattle I left for 10 minutes then came back and "led them to new pasture".... through a different cow lot.... :D :lol2: :nod:

A smart thief could probably catch them....or anyone's cattle given enough time and persistence.

inyati13":14b9xn5i said:
LauraleesFarm":14b9xn5i said:

That would not work for me. My cows are sometimes down in the holler. I don't see them. After I call a couple times, Bertha will call back to me. But when they are 3/4 of a mile down in a holler, you better have a loud voice. See this picture, they can be in that holler at the end of that ridge.
r1zoxz.jpg
need to learn to yodel :cowboy: mine is like a drunk indian chant,, anything works if they associate it ..

I usually use a loud "Woo Woo" when calling up the cows. Like many other replies though, they come running when they hear me driving up towards them.

:cboy:

Mine hear"COME ON" and they come running. Pasture change time or else cubes in the alley.

Equipment trailer got in to the fence and the gals got out. I got down their and all the neighborhood was ready for a round up. I drove down the road and started calling. One neighbor asked the wife what I was doing. Cows came from everywhere in a dead run. They know my voice. Right in the gate and to a sack of cubes being dumped. Different pasture. Came back the next day and repaired fence.

I call, "Hey cows, c'mon cows". My daughter says that my cows are better trained than some peoples dogs. I know it is a lot easier to lead cows than it is to drive them, so having them trained to follow is a real good thing.

All the neighbors have different calls that were handed down for generations. Ours hurt my throat to try- it was definetly a mans call. It was effective,
In fact there are stories of horrible family squabbles over who got the call when cattle/pigs were split up in an inheritance. If you didn't get the call and you lived within hearing distance you were forced to sell out.

Latest posts