Calling all venison sausage makers... I need help.

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2zzohrzf said:
Alan":2zzohrzf said:
Thanks for the casing tip 3way! :tiphat:

Sky, as 3way stated, I also learned a lesson on mixing spices and grinding, then letting the sausage meat sit over night before casing. I got about four inches cased and said screw it. The meat had set up and was impossible to send through the stuffer. It turned into patties and cooked as ground sausage.

One of my first of many more lessons to learn ...... Stuff into casing right after grinding .... Check!

Excellent tip 3 way :tiphat: .. Yea, sometimes you gotta learn the hard way lol.. I had about 2 lbs left after cranking and stuffing for 2 hours and said screw it and fried it and gave to my family thats visiting for thanksgiving lol I also had diced seriously sharp cheese by cabot and put in the sausage so hopefully that will be good after being smoked or grilled

a little crushed ice in your mix will get it moving.

skyhightree1":m1r8233g said:
Thanks M5 is there a ice to meat lb ratio that should be used?
I'm sure there is but when stuffing sausage we keep a scoop by the grinder and sprinkle some in as needed. it doesn't take much. keep in mind we are using a #22 commercial grinder.

Gotcha.. Thanks. Yea, Big difference I want just a electric #12 grinder for now. I think that will keep me busy enough.

M5farm":1bb84rap said:
skyhightree1":1bb84rap said:
Alan":1bb84rap said:
Thanks for the casing tip 3way! :tiphat:

Sky, as 3way stated, I also learned a lesson on mixing spices and grinding, then letting the sausage meat sit over night before casing. I got about four inches cased and said screw it. The meat had set up and was impossible to send through the stuffer. It turned into patties and cooked as ground sausage.

One of my first of many more lessons to learn ...... Stuff into casing right after grinding .... Check!

Excellent tip 3 way :tiphat: .. Yea, sometimes you gotta learn the hard way lol.. I had about 2 lbs left after cranking and stuffing for 2 hours and said screw it and fried it and gave to my family thats visiting for thanksgiving lol I also had diced seriously sharp cheese by cabot and put in the sausage so hopefully that will be good after being smoked or grilled

a little crushed ice in your mix will get it moving.

Another great tip and help on my education. Thanks!

Latest posts