Calf won't nurse

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
Calf was born last night; we milked the cow because the calf wouldn't get up. The birth was pretty noneventful. First heifer calved in about 1 1/2.

Calf get under the cow in the right position but just plays with the teat.

Suggestions?

Keep trying! Almost every year I have a "dummy" calf. Usually a bigger bull calf. Just not enough brains to know how to suck. It just takes alost of patience and a strong back. Put the cow in the head gate and keep putting the teat in the calves mouth. If after a few tries, milk and feed. Usually takes me two or three days.

Persistance, persistance, persistance. Eventually you will come out & see that the calf has nursed a bit on its own. Every now & then you will get one that seems a bit "stumped" for a few days, but they will catch on. Just make sure the calf is getting enough one way or another. It also helps to make sure it is hungry when you try to help it nurse. Please let us know how it goes. Good Luck

Went out this morning and the calf was laying in the straw while momma was out eating. When I went out to check on baby, momma came to check things out. Baby got up, searched for the teat and low and behold--nursed :clap: We were very glad to hear the sound of sucking!

Thanks for your encouragement. We get a little anxious at times.

Latest posts