Calf with foot/walking problem

Help Support CattleToday:

BK9954

Reaction score
Have a 2 day old calf. Saw him yesterday evening when I got home, he looked fine. Tonight when I got home when he walks one of his front hooves bends in at the ankle joint going back so it he is walking on a "bent knee" so to speak but at the ankle joint instead of the knee. Thats the best way I can describe it without a picture. This happens after a couple of normal steps of walking. Anyone have suggestions as to what this might be?

Slight case if contracted tendons, also called "bumble foot". You can splint the joint in which it will take a month and a half to get better or leave it alone and it will only take 6 weeks. Seriously, leave him alone and he'll be fine in a couple of days.

When they first get up after resting they are often OK but walking on their tippy toes. It doesn't take much, fatigue and they flick over and are then on the front of their fetlock. I find the cow knows of their disability and will keep them off to the side for a bit longer. As the days go on the time they are standing upright will increase. Keeping them away from the main herd so they can work things out at their own pace I find is best.

Ken

If you can catch him, try a shot of E & selenium. We are in a selenium deficient area here and see that alot in calves. We give a shot called BoSe or MuSe (one is for the sheep muse I think) and it often helps. They call it white muscle disease here but it is actually a deficiency. Won't hurt them either so it's not like the shot will poison them or anything. They will often get better on their own but the shot helps if that is what it is.

Latest posts