Calf That Is Not Growing

Help Support CattleToday:

EllieJ

Reaction score
This fall, I had a calf, heifer, born that grew just fine for the first three weeks to a month, then she suddenly "stopped" growing. I won't say that she complelty stopped growing, but she is not noticably getting any taller. Now at about 9 months old she looks like a 3 1/2 month old calf. Her mother was a first calf heifer and her father was a bull that had had many normal and actually quite big calves that averaged at about 600 pounds a weaning. The calf is definantly getting PLENTY of milk, (she was accidently separated from her mom for a night, and the mothers bag was leaking milk.) She also has an age mate that had a simpliar problem, but he shot up in height and now he looks about 8 months old instead of 9. When these two calves were young they would very constantly nurse off of one anothers moms. But this calf has had a respiratory problem that started about when she stopped growing. This had still continued, but the problem is not enough to make her look skinny (she is actually quite round.) She does seem a bit shaggy and doesn't have a perfect hair coat. And because this calf looks so young we have kept her on her mother and she is now about 9 months old. Does anybody have any suggestions on what we might do?
Thank you!

Pull her off momma, sell the calf. If the cow has another doggie calf sell momma and the calf

hooknline":2d9jgspo said:
Pull her off momma, sell the calf. If the cow has another doggie calf sell momma and the calf

I've been on Facebook too much lately, I was looking for the 'Like' button for this post.

Worm her,feed 90 days.then eat her cause she won't bring nothin anyway

Her mom calved in the fall, so she is just being bred this spring, and two about 2 months ago she got a round of cydectin. And she still isn't growing, any more thoughts?

Did I also say that I really am finding a way around selling the mother because she was a GORGOUS Murray Grey Cow, and she was bought at 18 months for 1800. I am fine with the calf going in, but I would prefer that the mother wouldn't because she is still young (3 years.)

Is mom thin? Around 3 they lose their baby teeth and that can cause nutrition issues until their adult teeth come fully in. Maybe the doggie calf is because of that? If she repeats it though get rid of her.

We are actually keeping the calf on for so long because we have a HUGE fear that the mom will get to fat, and then she will not breed back. In answer to your question, no the mom is not have nutrition problems.

Here is a picture of the mom heavy in calf, you really can't tell the difference in the weight from back then to now. She is just as filled out if not more with that calf still on her.
IMG_0154_zps5f21af57.jpg

The cow is way too fat. She is the problem here. She is using all the resources to put into HER own nutrition, instead of into the calf. She should be culled. All of her calves will be dinks because her metabolism takes it all for herself and there is nothing left for the developing and growing calf.

^ some cows are like that.

Where are you located? Do you mean being bred in Spring 2014 or was bred Spring 2013?
Since she had the calf last fall (last September if the calf is 9 months old), she should be pregnant now.

She is an attractive cow.

Because of the respiratory issue, this calf will probably never do good. If you've wormed her and she gets all the feed she wants, then you've probably done all you can do for this calf. Has a vet ever evaluated the respiratory issue?

Sell the calf, and try the cow one more time if your set on it, but I would cull her too. Good cows are not to hard to find to keep one that may not do her job.

LauraleesFarm":1bck56y5 said:
The cow is way too fat. She is the problem here. She is using all the resources to put into HER own nutrition, instead of into the calf. She should be culled. All of her calves will be dinks because her metabolism takes it all for herself and there is nothing left for the developing and growing calf.

I would like to hear what some other people think about this statment, if I am taking it right then a cow that it fat can not raise a good calf ??? well I disagree. sounds to me like you have a bad calf and from looks of the picture a very nice cow that I would give another chance now if it is a repeat problem then thats a different story.

Two things come to mind here.
1. The cow is over conditioned, putting too much into herself and not enough into the calf.
A well fat cow does not raise a good calf. A good sigh of a cow that raises a good calf is, she will wean @ 6 months or so 50% of her body weight. Any less than tap hat and she is not converting the feed for milk production but for herself.

Did she breed in line with the other cows? Was she late...this is a sign of a cow which also puts too much in to herself....late breeder.

2. The calf has a heart problem. The calf will lag behind the others in growth, be the last in line when the heard is moving and slow. If it does run, it is weak for a few days. Respiratory issues can develope. If the clad does, you can post the calf and check out the heart.

Can not sell either animal until the withdrawal periods have been met!

BRYANT":7c0u8ikt said:
LauraleesFarm":7c0u8ikt said:

I would like to hear what some other people think about this statment, if I am taking it right then a cow that it fat can not raise a good calf ??? well I disagree. sounds to me like you have a bad calf and from looks of the picture a very nice cow that I would give another chance now if it is a repeat problem then thats a different story.
Not that they 'can't", but that they don't do it as economically or as efficiently as one in a better body condition. I don't have any experience with Murray Greys, but from the pics I've seen, they all always tend to look "fatter" than other breeds.
If that were one of my Chars or beefmasters tho, yeah--WAAY fat.

I have had a few calves, that seemed to have stopped growing in size and visual weight at about 7 months, but picked up at around 9 months and did ok. Not much history on this momma cow, as the OP said it was "Her mother was a first calf heifer and her father was a bull that had had many normal and actually quite big calves that averaged at about 600 pounds a weaning" so we can probably rule out the sire's genetics as being the problem, but not the momma. Of course, when combining the 2's genetics, ya just never know.
Personally, I'd give the calf 30 more days max, if no big improvement, sell it. Give the cow one more chance at breeding and calving a good weaner simply because you already have the $1800 purchase price and feeding over last winter/spring in her, and if there is a repeat, ship cow and her calf.

Thanks for the help! I think that I will see how the mom will do with her next calf now that she should be breed. In response to rockridgecattle, the mom calved a day after the first mom did, so yes she was right on track with the other animals. We are probably will be pulling the calf off the mom in the next month or so, and then we will try to treat her for a resperatory problem, and if nothing happens then we will take her into the sale barn. One problem that we have seen with the calf is that she will cough regularly, not always, but often, and her coat seems to be a bit more greasy and shaggy than the rest of the other animals. Now the calves that were born this spring in March are her height. She don't think that she will grow out to be what we want, but if she does grow then we will think about selling her as breeding stock. The cow will definately be shipped or sold for 2000 if she does not show any more improvement. I will try to get a picture of the mother and her calf this weekend, so if you want to see them check this on Sunday.

BRYANT":31bum9kn said:
LauraleesFarm":31bum9kn said:

I will disagree also. While I have seen and have some that were real heavy milking cows that get pulled down by weaning and raise heavy calves, I would rather have the ones that can hold some condition and wean a heavy calf too. That said the cow in the picture is too heavy but she is heavy bred. This cow may never produce a good calf but this is not true for all cows that can hold condition through weaning. I would say if the calf was sick I would give her another chance.

Latest posts