Calf That Is Not Growing

Help Support CattleToday:

As I said early in the post, the first thing I would do is eliminate the possibility of the calf being a PI for BVD, especially with the mum being a heifer. It may explain everything and remove the doubt on the cow.
Ken

EllieJ":2aydlnym said:
Thanks for the help! I think that I will see how the mom will do with her next calf now that she should be breed. In response to rockridgecattle, the mom calved a day after the first mom did, so yes she was right on track with the other animals. We are probably will be pulling the calf off the mom in the next month or so, and then we will try to treat her for a resperatory problem, and if nothing happens then we will take her into the sale barn. One problem that we have seen with the calf is that she will cough regularly, not always, but often, and her coat seems to be a bit more greasy and shaggy than the rest of the other animals. Now the calves that were born this spring in March are her height. She don't think that she will grow out to be what we want, but if she does grow then we will think about selling her as breeding stock. The cow will definately be shipped or sold for 2000 if she does not show any more improvement. I will try to get a picture of the mother and her calf this weekend, so if you want to see them check this on Sunday.

Why are you waiting to treat the calf for it's illness? The longer it is allowed to go untreated, the greater the chances of permanent lung damage. You describe a sick animal, why not get a vet to look at it, find out the problem and treat it?

I would think that with the amount of money that you paid for the cow, you would be a bit more aggressive about taking care of her calf.

I am a bit confused. Is the cow pregnant now or is she open?

[/quote]
chippie":3pwnm3or said:
I am a bit confused.

I real confused with this whole thread and wonder if its real or just something to talk about ????

chippie":3pwnm3or said:
She don't think that she will grow out to be what we want, but if she does grow then we will think about selling her as breeding stock. The cow will definately be shipped or sold for 2000 if she does not show any more improvement.

I would not want the sick lung problem calf for breeding stock and if you sell the cow for 2000.00 ,thats a cull, sounds like you wanting to cheat someone rather than taking the hit yourself.
Stupid stuff like this is what gives some cattle people bad names. If they are not good enough for you to keep then sale them to the kill pen. count the 1800.00 you spent off as a bad deal and move on rather than trying to make the next man make a super bad deal while trying to cover yourself.

I know that some people are asking why do I wait and pull of the calf right now rather than in a month, first of all, as a lot of you think, the cow is quite fat, before we have bought cows that have "hips" which is what we call a cow that has been forgiven for loosing a pregency and then bred back the following year, and after that has happened the mother looks like she swolled a box because she has gotten so fat, and because of this we don't want to give the mother 6-7 more months of gaining weight, which could lead up to this problem. The calf is not loosing condition, but we think that it is a big enough problem that she is puting most of her energy into fighting it, so she is not growing, but a small enough problem that this calf is not loosing condition. I will post a picture over the weekend, or sooner to show the mother and the calf, and what they look like.

I forgot to add, that when the calf was born she was fully devoloped at 64 pounds, she was very normal until she was about three weeks old.
Here is a picutre of her just born with her mother:
DSC00552_zps86a71679.jpg

Here is her at about the time that she stopped growing (3 weeks)
DSC00869_zpsa2d68b6a.jpg

The calf is cute, she looks like a toy. The bad thing about having so much hair is that sometimes it can be hard to tell an animal's true body condition.
Can you post a more recent photo?

What does the cow's udder look like? I can't see her teats in the pic.

This is the second time that I have tried to post time comment, so sorry if it comes up twice, but:
I will attach a picture of the cow and her calf. There is another one that is also nursing because she and another mom would allow ONLY their calves to poach on each other. The one on the right is hers (220), the other calf is a bull.
DSC00940_zps534d0978.jpg

How much younger is the bull calf in the picture?

I have said all alone keep the cow and give her another chance, BUT now we learn another twist to the story if she can't raise her own calf she sure does not need another one to be nursing if this is her nature it maybe time for her to take that one way trip. and not for 2000.00 as a good cow but to the kill pen.

EllieJ":3d6ppxxu said:
This is the second time that I have tried to post time comment, so sorry if it comes up twice, but:
I will attach a picture of the cow and her calf. There is another one that is also nursing because she and another mom would allow ONLY their calves to poach on each other. The one on the right is hers (220), the other calf is a bull.
DSC00940_zps534d0978.jpg

I think this picture says a lot. Did the calf stop growing at the time the bull started nursing her

The bull and the heifer stopped growing at around 3 weeks old like I said before, but the bull calf also was slowly growing, but he still was. He now looks like 7 months old, instead of nine, and his mom is the shortest in our herd, so that could also be partly from him. So yes, but these two have been nursing off each others moms since about day 2. But the mom still held perfect condition. The bull actually turned out to be quite good looking, but we cut him because he started maturing at about 7 months old.

Yeah, maybe, but the other mom is a first calf heifer and has a 5-6 year old bag so she should be producing, but I know that a big bag is not a sign of milk capacity.

We thought that the reason that these moms had this connection because after being bought in Oklahoma at a yearling, and had never really spent a day without each other.

Both calves 9 months old??? The bull calf's dam is a 1st time heifer at 5-6 years old?? Sounds like either poor genetics or two mommas that make a lot of very poor quality milk--or both.
No matter what the mommas cost initially, you reach a point where you're losing $$ on them if they can't raise a decent calf on even marginal forage and a little supplement.

No, no, no. I must have phrased it incorrectly, they are both first calf heifers at 2 1/2 years old. The other mom that has the smaller calf but that is still growing has an UTTER that looks like it is 5-6 years old. But the mom that is having this issue you have already seen above.

How old is the picture with the two calves nursing together? Or better yet, how old are the calves in the picture? Do you have any recent pictures of both calves to compare size?

Latest posts