calf shelter experience?

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't, but I have wanted one for many years. Shipping would be a killer though. I need to get the materials together and build one just like it.

Not many in Texas use them or need them but i made one and used that picture as a model. I had a hand rail shop bend 1 1/4 pipe close to that configuration and then wrapped it in used R-panel. I put in a lot of screws. It is on skids so I can drag it around. I also put plates on each corner with a hole in them that I put a T-post through to keep it in place.

I put it in the area where I feed hay. Some years it barely gets used. This year some of the calves seem to have taken up permanent residence. The calves go in it while their mothers are eating hay. It keeps them out of harms way and with 10 of them in there it stays real warm. The pipe and bending for mine was about $300. The sheet metal was at no cost but had some holes in it. I spent about 16 hours building it. I am very pleased with it and get a few nice comments from the neighbors but so far, no one else has built one.

I picked one up last week and it looks better in person then on the website. I look forward to using it this season, I figure if it saves even one calf, or the equivlent in gain or non-frozen ears and tails, it'll pay for itself in short order. And if its even remotely taken care of, it'll always be worth atleast half the purchase price.
I paid 2,000 for it.

The closest I could find was about an hour drive. Their website lists the dealers by state if youre maybe looking. It was snowing and blowing on the way home but it hauled very nice.

We have gotten pretty fancy with portable shelters. Went from downed trees, to 1 high bales, to 2 high bales, to 2 high bales with some gravity boxes and hay racks parked up wind. :cowboy:
I have a low input neighbor who calves in March in an open south facing slope. He puts out his old (hay hauling) flat racks with some grassy bales on them. The cows eat some of the hay, some falls through gaps in the boards, more is piled along the edge of the wagon, and then the calves crawl under the wagon if the going gets tough.

I wouldn't buy one because it is to low, which means the only way you could clean it out is with a pitch fork while banging your head on the roof.
If I can't clean it out with my loader, I don't want it.
Now I would consider a metal carport type building.
http://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carports/
Liz

NCLiz 3":fbmvfmk3 said:
I wouldn't buy one because it is to low, which means the only way you could clean it out is with a pitch fork while banging your head on the roof.
If I can't clean it out with my loader, I don't want it.
Now I would consider a metal carport type building.
http://www.alansfactoryoutlet.com/carports/
Liz

Most carports are open on the sides, which really defeats the purpose of protecting baby calves from the wind, and the ones that have sides are too expensive to justify--might as well just make a building out of plywood. Also, on the website that he posted above, it says [/quote] "Lift & carry hooks for easy moving. You can re-bed and move more often to help lessen sick calf problems. No need for you to climb into this shelter!!!" [/quote]

Yes, I saw the hooks and skid features but I really don't think a hobby farmer is going to have a tractor that goes high enough to lift it. If they have one at all.
And then there will still be times you will want to go in it, like putting bedding down for one, and you will always be banging your head.
I have had cattle around, and in, metal barns and they tear them up by rubbing on the inside and outside and pushing the insides out when there is no wood structure to stop them.
Plus, if the door is over 36 in high my cows would get down on their knees to put their head and shoulders in and flip it over just to get in. Or push it down the road if it's not anchored down.

It might be OK for a hobby farm calf operation but for cow/calf, the cows will tear it up, if the calves don't.

But, that's just my experience.

Liz

The cows will not be tearing this one up.Its built like a brick sh!t house. heavy metal framing, clean welds, if I could figure out how to post pictures on here, I'd post a few to better show you.

NCLiz 3":1kpv624x said:
Yes, I saw the hooks and skid features but I really don't think a hobby farmer is going to have a tractor that goes high enough to lift it. If they have one at all.
And then there will still be times you will want to go in it, like putting bedding down for one, and you will always be banging your head.
I have had cattle around, and in, metal barns and they tear them up by rubbing on the inside and outside and pushing the insides out when there is no wood structure to stop them.
Plus, if the door is over 36 in high my cows would get down on their knees to put their head and shoulders in and flip it over just to get in. Or push it down the road if it's not anchored down.

It might be OK for a hobby farm calf operation but for cow/calf, the cows will tear it up, if the calves don't.

But, that's just my experience.

Liz
Guess then they weren't maybe for hobby farmers.

I was looking at these...
18P3B.JPG

http://www.port-a-hut.com/photo-gallery.cfm

Latest posts