Calf Ran Off

Help Support CattleToday:

Thank goodness ,,that is very good news. Keep a close but distant eye on that calf to ensure that it did not get pneumonia and watch for scours.

When it calms down and is used to you being around post a pic of your little wanderer.. :)

mine was spooky for awhile, but now she is in the replacement group follows the leader like all the rest.
i was going to tag mine like i do all the little calves and she ran off, mom was right by her. glad everything turned out good.

come on guys dont dog the poor guy to death.theres not a 1 of us on this board that hasnt jumped up a calf.an had it take off running through some fences.glad that you was able to find an catch the calf.an get it back with momma.

bigbull338":hzfm4b8c said:
come on guys dont dog the poor guy to death.theres not a 1 of us on this board that hasnt jumped up a calf.an had it take off running through some fences.glad that you was able to find an catch the calf.an get it back with momma.

Good post bigbull....

All us that OWN cattle have been there and done that.
The only people that dont screw up, are those that dont do nothing...

I agree with you bigbull, it is just one of those things that happened. I am glad it all worked out and I hope the calf does OK.

thanks guys i just wish the oldtimers here would remember that.we have all done the samething that alot of newbies do an ask qs about it.but the truth is some wont admitt to things like that.

redfornow":2pnqoq7t said:
bigbull338":2pnqoq7t said:

Good post bigbull....

Hey now, I posted from experience................ :nod:

82vett":2pnqoq7t said:
Jumped on up myself once with mama just a few yards away. Wanted to know if it was a bull or heifer. Two pastures and 3/4 miles away (it did 3/4 miles I did about 4 trying to get ahead of it) I finally caught up to it on a county road. Remember this next time. No meddling. You can be sure mama knew where her calf was. It does irritate me when mama does stash a calf and leave like that. My trick us to leave the calf alone and go mess with mama. Usually, and you can tell, the first thing she thinks of when she sights me or my dogs is her calf. She will get to it pretty fast after that.

One time I tagged and banded a brand new calf and it started running. Darn thing ran for through two boundary lines before it ran out of steam. The will to survive is strong, and I was a predator as it saw it. When I caught it, its heart was about to burst, and I about lost the calf. It couldn't walk on its own (ever try to drive a new born calf?) so I carried it back to momma and in the shade and thankfully it cooled off and calmed down, but it was about to go into shock on me. The point? Be careful with the new borns cause if they do that, they don't have any reserve energy to bounce back on when they expend so much so quick, and if they are scared enough, they'll just run till they konk out. If you were gonna look, i'd try walking pretty much in a straight line, allowing for things it probably couldn't climb or get through, and don't be surprised if it ran a really long ways. Its going on instinct. If it was a new calf, its likely too late but may be worth a shot.

1982vett":fni3wgnt said:
redfornow":fni3wgnt said:
bigbull338":fni3wgnt said:

Good post bigbull....

Hey now, I posted from experience................ :nod:

lol

I have been right there with you....

Still do some stupid stuff from time to time? :cowboy:

Caustic Burno":23bysrfd said:
...Why does everyone want to mess with cows and calfs wait a couple of days and she would have brought it to you.

I like to get birth weights on newborns. They squirm alot more when they are a few days old.

Latest posts